Discuss the Smallstone Phase Shifer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss the Smallstone Phase Shifer

Supposedly the Nano is the EXACT same circuit, but in clips, the reissue US Smallstone clearly sounds better, and everyone agrees.
    I dont know why..is it different resistors/caps., or different solder traces or something?
    Anyhow, I have the Russian Muff. Looks built to survive the Tacolips..and from clips, it still sounds cosiderably better than the Nano, but maybe not as good as the US Reissue.I want to lose the Russian Smallstone becase its footprint is just too big on the pedalboard.
    Of course, the old original ones are goin' for more money now..the earliest ones going at a premium in price.
    Would you look at modern production Phasers for more control/options, or is the original Smallstone going to always sound more thick/organic?
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 10-02-2011, 05:51 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Discuss the Smallstone Phase Shifer

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Supposedly the Nano is the EXACT same circuit, but in clips, the reissue US Smallstone clearly sounds better, and everyone agrees.
    I dont know why..is it different resistors/caps., or different solder traces or something?
    Anyhow, I have the Russian Muff. Looks built to survive the Tacolips..and from clips, it still sounds cosiderably better than the Nano, but maybe not as good as the US Reissue.
    Of course, the old original ones are goin' for more money now..the earliest ones going at a premium in price.
    Being the exact same circiut doesn't always mean it will sound exactly the same.

If you want the USA Small Stone sound buy the USA Small Stone, they sound different from the Nano and both of those sound different from the Russian ones which again sound different still from the old 70's ones...

That said, what do I know...I'm just a fool that thinks he knows everything.
    Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 10-02-2011, 05:53 PM.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      Being the exact same circiut doesn't always mean it will sound exactly the same.

If you want the USA Small Stone sound buy the USA Small Stone, they sound different from the Nano and both of those sound different from the Russian ones which again sound different still from the old 70's ones...

That said, what do I know...I'm just a fool that thinks he knows everything.
      haha. No. I ddint mean that exactly..
      Im looking at the HBE Psilicocybe fior more control/options?...supposed to be a very versatile phaser, I just wonder if it will sound as thick and organic as a old Smallstone?
      I am assuming in general that old pedals have this thick lush natural organic character that new ones somehow just c nnot match. Seems to be widely true, if not always true..?
      Last edited by MetalManiac; 10-02-2011, 05:57 PM.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
        haha. No. I ddint mean that exactly..
        Im looking at the HBE Psilicocybe fior more control/options?...supposed to be a very versatile phaser, I just wonder if it will sound as thick and organic as a old Smallstone?
        I am assuming in general that old pedals have this thick lush natural organic character that new ones somehow just c nnot match. Seems to be widely true, if not always true..?
        jeez man, I dunno...I'm just a fool that thinks he knows everything and I'd hate to give you bad info so here is a friendly bump for you.

Good luck in your phaser search!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I really liked the Russian Small Stone. Sounded a little more meaty than the USA Small Stone.
          Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
          Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I have a HBE Psilocybe and it gets me in the ballpark of both my Phase 90 and Small Stone so I sold them and kept the HBE.

I wouldn't say it'll copy both or either 100%, but it gets close enough to both for the small amount of time I use it.
            Last edited by Brow; 10-03-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Ironically enough I just sold my early NYC EH Small Stone on E Bay...Sold it for newer purchase money.
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                Ironically enough I just sold my early NYC EH Small Stone on E Bay...Sold it for newer purchase money.
                I recently sold a NYC one too. I like the EVH as far as phase effects go.

Comment

Check out an old Morley phaser. One of the most transparent, 3D tones ive heard from a phaser. There is a vid. of one on youtube.

Comment

i have the nano small stone and it sounds quite nice, but when i have it in the effects loop the effect is almost too much, i suppose i could reduce the volume of the loop but that would also affect my delay...

Comment

Working...
                    X