Pedalboard Rev. 2,701 w. extra mojo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedalboard Rev. 2,701 w. extra mojo

I realized tonight as I was mounting my DS-1 Recto Mod on my pedalboard that I was using my Seymour Duncan screwdriver. I got it from Seymour & Scott at a meet & greet a few years ago. The mojo worked and the board worked first try.

The DS-1 Recto replaced my Rat clone. Tomorrow night, I'm going to use the mojo-riffic screwdriver to install my new (used) BB Preamp, replacing a modded SD-1. After that, I'm done. I'm tired of goofin' around with pedals and I want to play. So I'm pulling a Tom Morello - just pronouncing that my gear is what it is, and I'll learn to work with it.

My signal chain will be DS-1 Recto -> 74 Script RI Phase 90 -> BB Preamp -> CE-2 Chorus -> BF-2 Flanger -> DD-3 Delay (short) -> DD-3 Delay (long) -> TR-2 Tremolo.
    Last edited by Rich_S; 10-04-2011, 06:30 AM.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Pedalboard Rev. 2,701 w. extra mojo

Pic of SD screwdriver?

My personal favorites are my Snap On and my Facom screwdrivers...
    Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
    I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

I have two SD screwdrivers. They are TINY!

Comment

Here it is:

I admit it... the Xotic BB Preamp is better than any SD-1 I ever modded. I was happy with my SD-1, but made the mistake of listening to Andy Timmons' Resolution seveal times in a row a few weeks ago. That caused me to hear the little voice that said, "You're an idiot. Why'd you sell that BB Preamp? You need another BB Preamp."

The best part is its flexibility. Into my baby Marshall, I can run the BB's gain down real low and use mostly clean boost from the volume control to drive the amp harder. For a clean amp (one of these days, I'm going to stop giving all my money to doctors, lawyers, and septic-system contractors and buy myself a Super Reverb) the BB has a lot more gain on tap than what I use now. And the BB's EQ gives all kinds of tweakability.

The DS-1 Recto won out over a Rat and an MXR Distortion+. I love the D+, but again, flexibilty carried the day. The Recto mod can do a pretty good imitation of the D+ with its tone control at about 1 o'clock and its distortion at 3 o'clock. Turning the tone control up higher makes it sound more DS-1ish, and the volume control on the Recto gives me a lot more boost capability than the D+.

Other than that, it's old standby Boss boxes. The TR-2 is tweaked a bit to remove the volume drop. The Phase 90 is modded with a 3PDT for troo bypash, but I haven't gone so far as to install an LED.

Time to start concentrating on my playing rather than my gear. I've done a few little guitar self-improvement project lately which have caused me to stretch a bit, and the resulting improvements in my playing , though slight, have been way more rewarding that a new pedal.
        Last edited by Rich_S; 10-07-2011, 08:00 AM.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

Comment

End view:

There's a hardwired master-bypass toggle switch behind the output jack, but in 30 years playing DIY boards like this, I've only had to resort to that failure mode twice: once for a a loose connection that was fixed during the next set break, and once due to a defective wall outlet that cut power to the board.

Oh, yeah... and here's my Sceptre of Major Mojo:

Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

Comment

Working...
          X