Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do You Use Compression?

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
    Just the natural compression from my amp settings, and that's it. I like to be able to control the dynamics.
    this

Comment

Earlier I played a lot of funk, so it was essential then. Now I play a lot of rhythm in pop/rock settings, so I find it usable to limit the dynamics a bit with it.
      My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
        I use it like a motherfracker.

Here is a good example of how I use it: http://soundcloud.com/hunterjsmith/red

This is a dual P90 guitar (PRS SE Singlecut) running through a buttload of compression and a clean amp.

I am one of the minority who uses it "as an effect" as opposed to using as a subtle enhancement.

I squish my signal so much that it trembles.

I squish my signal so much that the strum has almost no attack.

Or at the very least, a very unnatural attack.

I dig the sound, though - it works for me. Tell me if you would notice that these guitar tracks were compressed to hell if I hadn't said anything.

Most guitar guys just tell me this track sounds good, and only notice the monstrous amount of compression after I tell them, then they go "oh, yeah."
        That's cool. I think my favourite example of that kind of effect is the clean intro and verses of 'Born Of A Broken Man' by Rage Against The Machine. Sounds almost piano like.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
          Several of the guitarists I idolize have made compressors part of their signature sound: Andy Summers. Jamie West-Oram. James Honeyman-Scott.

Every once is a while, I get the bug - "I'm gonna get that sound." I buy a compressor, I plug it in. It sounds dull and flat. It squashes my dynamics. The bright jangly bit I'm searching for gets buried in the mix because the pedal's volume is set too low, adn of course turning the guitar up or playing louder doesn't help. It just seems to me that the compressor is always set wrong, and removes control over the situation from my hands to a couple knobs on the floor. So, after a short while, I sell the pedal.

I've done this several times with several different pedals. Boss CE-2, MXR Dynacomp, Boss CE-3 (regular and Allums Opto Mod). I want to try it one more time with a Whirlwind Red Box, which is supposedly an old Dynacomp done right by modern standards (i.e. true bypass and an LED).

In the end, I expect it will be the same: I love the sound of compressors, except when I'm playing them.

Of course, I already have substantial compression on my rig, which is based around an EL84 18 Watter without a lot of headroom. I've recently upgraded my overdrive pedal from a modded SD-1 to BB Preamp largely because the BB has less natural compression and more dynamics.
          You really should try a Diamond Comp sometime.

And JHS is a HUGE influence on me - what an amazing guitarist he was.

Comment

Compression is funny...most folks that use compression as an effect do it really poorly IMHO but there are a few that do it well.

To me compression is a great tool and can make or break some situations, that said I do not currently own one and almost never feel like I need one...

I mean, I spent years working on a playing technique and thousands of dollars building a rig that is very touch sensitive and has lots of dynamics and a compressor will just kill that with a single stomp!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              Compression is funny...most folks that use compression as an effect do it really poorly IMHO but there are a few that do it well.

To me compression is a great tool and can make or break some situations, that said I do not currently own one and almost never feel like I need one...

I mean, I spent years working on a playing technique and thousands of dollars building a rig that is very touch sensitive and has lots of dynamics and a compressor will just kill that with a single stomp!
              It's funny that I have noticed I will probably never play with a compressor, but couldn't imagine making a mix without several!!!
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

True, when I mic amps I usually put a little compression on it from the board, helps with the mix but just feels odd if it comes out the amp.
                Originally posted by ratherdashing
                If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by schecterplayer View Post
                  True, when I mic amps I usually put a little compression on it from the board, helps with the mix but just feels odd if it comes out the amp.
                  thats different and makes sense. at that point you arent changing the interaction of the guitar/amp and tone you are just evening out the level coming out of the pa.

Comment

I only ever use compression when I'm playing country leads and going for that "maximum squish" tone ala Paisley, etc. What's nice about it is that it adds sustain like overdrive does, so if you're really squishing your clean leads with one, they're as easy to play and sing as much as if you were doing leads through a modded Marshall. But the problem with using that much compression is always added hiss/noise.
                    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Working...
                    X