need tubes for my Quickrod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need tubes for my Quickrod

Im not really savvy on tube changes. Did one tube swap on my PV classic 30 and went with a full set for JJs from Eurotube..

I dont have much time on the amp, so Im gonna try a preamp tube swap first. Im getting a flubby sound in the lows. I was getting a high squeal, but replaced the one bad pre tube that was microphonic, but its still messing up..

I read where guys use this brand in v1 and that in v2 and...
    Is there a way to know what brand/etc works best in what slot? Im guessing its trial and error.. I guess Im mostly appealing to you Splawn guys to see what you've had luck with..

Thanks for your assist!!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

My pro mod doesn't like anything but the JJ's, for some reason. They're wrong in every other amp i've tried them in, but they are just magic in that amp.

My Quick Rod, after lots of trial and error, is sounding incredible these days with a set of EH Gold Pins in every slot.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Re: need tubes for my Quickrod

In the end, the combo I liked the best in my QR was: GE 5751 in v1, JJ 83S's in all the other preamp slots, Mullard EL34s.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

where do you get your tubes?? GE5751

thanks! ive emailed Scott a couple of times about the funny noise and got no reply.. I figure Ill try preamp tubes and if it still does it, Ill call him
        Last edited by BloodRose; 10-08-2011, 10:52 PM.
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

The JJs and Mullards I got from New Sensor. The GEs are NOS ...

Comment

Hadnt heard of New Sensor.. I was doing some searching and appears they are a maker, correct? I was assuming they were a dealer..
            Last edited by BloodRose; 10-08-2011, 10:53 PM.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I had a Quickrod. At one time I experienced strange things and noises going on intermittently. I looked at the powertubes mid-song and it looked like a lightning storm inside the powertubes! Turns out the JJ in the PI spot had failed.......

In the year and a half I owned a Quickrid I was most happy with a Tung-Sol in V-1, JJ's in V-2 and V-4 (clean if I recall correctly) and an EH in V3 (Phase invertor if I recall correctly)

Best poweramp tubes I tried in it (and I tried many) were Chinese Shuguang EL34B......

Some days I loved it, some days not so much! It was very sensitive to speakers and pickups. Vintage 30's and Duncan JB's did NOT mesh well with the Quickrod.....

Just my opinion, based on actually experience and ownership of the gear in question!!!!
              Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
              "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Thanks All! Metlking, Im using a splawn 4x12, so that works good and hadnt had any issues with JBs. But Im not gigging either.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  Hadnt heard of New Sensor.. I was doing some searching and appears they are a maker, correct? I was assuming they were a dealer..
                  Yes. New Sensor is the importer/distributor for most Russian valves and they are the owners/makers of Electro-Harmonix. They are located close to my house (Long Island City).

Comment

Supplier of vacuum tubes for guitar, audio, and recording applications. We burn-in, test and match all tubes. Free Shipping on orders $105 and over.

Need vacuum tubes? Want to build your own amplifier? Have an unhealthy HiFi obsession? We've got you covered.

The Best Vacuum Tubes: Power tubes and preamp tubes matched for any guitar amp or stereo tube amplifier. Not sure which tube you need? Let us help you.

www.eurotubes.com (jj's only)
                    Originally posted by grumptruck
                    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                    Originally posted by Gear Used
                    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                    Mesa Stiletto Ace
                    Gurus 5015
                    Mesa Widebody 1X12
                    Pedalboard

Comment

Working...
                    X