DIME amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIME amp

I have been a life long fan of Dimebag and followed him through his career and so forth. A few months I stumbled upon the dime amp head. I watched the video on YouTube at the NAMM show where dimebags old guitar tech was talking about the amp. He said it was designed by the guy that made the Randall amp dimebag used. They said with the new DIME an EQ and overdrive is not needed everything is built into the head to get dimes tone except for effects like delay, flanger, etc. I am a little confused because Krank is still making the dimebag krankenstein amp. I heard this DIME AMP is made by Dean is it another attempt at cashing in on dimebags name? Has anyone tried the amp? I am curious about the head not the speakers. It seems priced resonably low.

Re: DIME amp

They are solid amps. They were designed by Grady Champion(Dime's long time tech- NO ONE in the inhabited universe knows Dime's tone better than this man), and the guy that designed the Randall RG100.

As far as being a money grab, EVERYTHING that is released under Dime's name is approved by his family, and they don't need the money. They are keeping Dime's spirit alive.

Funny how no one ever cries foul, at all of the Randy Rhoads models that Jackson has released, since he died three decades ago...

Comment

That's very true about the Randy Rhoades stuff. I was trying to figure out how two signature amps from different companies were being produced and sold at the same time. I have been looking online for comparisons of the dime amp and krankenstein. And haven't found too much. I know there is a big difference in one being tone and the other solid state and a huge price difference. Curious to which one has more of a dimebag tone. I wonder if anyone put the dime head on the krankenstein cab and what they thought, those kind of comparisons.

Comment

i wouldn't stress too hard about it...nailing down Dime's tone is easy.

you need a pickup with too much output, an amp or pedal with too much distortion and no mids, and you have to be able to play boring riffs and almost-interesting solos.

i mean i liked Pantera and i have respect for the man and the music he made but his TONE? His tone is the single worst thing about Pantera.

Play any Pantera riff through a JCM800 boosted with an 808 and a Les Paul with medium-output humbuckers...IT WILL SOUND WAY BETTER than Dimebag ever did, ever.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post

you need a pickup with too much output, an amp or pedal with too much distortion and no mids, and you have to be able to play boring riffs and almost-interesting solos.

i mean i liked Pantera and i have respect for the man and the music he made but his TONE? His tone is the single worst thing about Pantera.

Play any Pantera riff through a JCM800 boosted with an 808 and a Les Paul with medium-output humbuckers...IT WILL SOUND WAY BETTER than Dimebag ever did, ever.
          I know you like to rag on things you don't like, and I won't ever say Dime's tone was great, but it is unique when combined with the way he played. It really helped to create the context that is called Pantera.

I would have to say that an 800 (boosted or not) isn't the best option for that stuff.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Long time Dime fan here. I've seen/heard so many reviews for this amp and heard lots of guys use it live. I *really* don't like it. I haven't heard one good sound out of the thing. The distortion is just bland. No depth or life. And the clean? Come on... You're not gonna buy this amp for the clean.

I do like that you can have two channels active for a sort of onboard clean boost. That's kinda neat.

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post

Ugh.

Comment

The diff in the Dime and the krank:

Dime made his career using the SS Randall amp. The Dime is to capture That tone.

At the end of his life, he was starting to use Krank tube amps and the Krankenstein was made for him at that time.. I believe he was using them with the new band, but I cant say matter of factly..
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                The diff in the Dime and the krank:

Dime made his career using the SS Randall amp. The Dime is to capture That tone.

At the end of his life, he was starting to use Krank tube amps and the Krankenstein was made for him at that time.. I believe he was using them with the new band, but I cant say matter of factly..
                IMO the Dime sounds nothing like the old Randalls he used. They were much tighter and didn't have that sag in the low end that I hear on the demos.

As far as I know the Krankenstein as we know it wasn't out until after he passed. He was touring with a prototype and before that he was touring with one of their already established models. I believe he called in some final changes to the Krankenstein days before his death. And that's what we have today.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                  IMO the Dime sounds nothing like the old Randalls he used. They were much tighter and didn't have that sag in the low end that I hear on the demos.

As far as I know the Krankenstein as we know it wasn't out until after he passed. He was touring with a prototype and before that he was touring with one of their already established models. I believe he called in some final changes to the Krankenstein days before his death. And that's what we have today.
                  Yeah, i wasnt certain as to when they actually came out.. Thanks
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Here is Vinnie Moore running through one and terring it up (no surpirse). Him and Michael Baitio took it for a demo/spin there at the Factory.

I have played one a couple of times. Overall, it's got a pretty wide range and is pretty tunable for whatever you dig with the EQ and gain.

Greatest amp in the world, don't know. But a pretty good solid state IMO. Tube guys opinions should be considered questionable, because, well, we know they will mostly hate it.

I'd call it flexible, more than enough gain, and good buy for the money. Can't speak to durability.

And so what if it says Dime? Is it a decent amp...yes. Like Les Paul's name hasn't been bastardized on 100's pf products HE wouldn't approve of (nor did very vocally on a few...)
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yeah Batio actually tours with it. And if Vinnie's playing on one... There's gotta be something to that amp.

Other than that it's made by Dean and they're Dean artists.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                        Other than that it's made by Dean and they're Dean artists.
                        You know this could have much more to do with why they use it than its tone... just sayin
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

It WILL get you closer to his tone than anything else in the ballpark, and by ballpark, I mean a grip of RG100s run through a grip of rack gear. Give one a whirl.

Comment

I saw the demo where the clean channel and distorted channel can be played at the same time was wondering how that works because aren't the speakers sending two different wavelegnths? That is probably a stupid question just curious how it works. When the overdrive button or boost button is activated the volume actually drops is it common for solid state amps to do that? I was reading there is an optional footswitch for reverb and I tried to contact the company in regards to it because I have not been able to find it. Do most footswitchs work the same? Could possibly another footswitch from a different amp work or is it not likely. One of the drawbacks I am having with buying this amp is the low quality plastic channel footswitch. I could see my fat self stumbling on stage and cracking the pedal underneath my enormous weight lol. I am also wondering if a metal one from another amp would work?

Comment

Sorry I know I post way too many questions at once lol

Comment

Working...
                              X