banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This may get a little crazy but keep with me..................... (Delay content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may get a little crazy but keep with me..................... (Delay content)

I found myself contemplating getting a 3rd delay. RIght now I have the Carbon Copy and a Hardwire DL-8. The Hardwire has some sweet novelty effects as well as digital goodness needed on some songs. The looper is cool, but not the best. SO I started thinking, I may have to pick up a DL-4 for looping and occassional crazy delay.

Two questions:

1. what's some other options for a good looper
    2. Does anyone own 2 or 3 delays?
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Re: This may get a little crazy but keep with me..................... (Delay content)

I have a pair or DD-3 that I use for two different presets. If my needs grow beyond that I'd get a bigger, programmable delay.

I owned a DD-7 for a while, and I looked at the TC Flashback for a bit. I came away with the belief that the looper functions implemented in delay pedals are kinda half-a$$ed. I guess they'be okay for foolig around at home, but for performance, you need a dedicated looper. I recently got my som an RC-3 for his birthday, and even that is a pain to use by itself, making you want to add the external footswitches ASAP.

Digitech biggest looper, the JamMan Delay actually attempts to integrate delay functions into a looper pedal. Other than that, I'd use separate pedals. The DL-4 and one other dedicated delay might be a good solution, too.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Re: This may get a little crazy but keep with me..................... (Delay content)

I have a Boss DD-20 and another little analogue style delay. There's still several delay pedals small and large on my list to soon be acquired. Can't have enough delay pedals, lad.

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
      I came away with the belief that the looper functions implemented in delay pedals are kinda half-a$$ed. I guess they'be okay for foolig around at home, but for performance, you need a dedicated looper.

Other than that, I'd use separate pedals. The DL-4 and one other dedicated delay might be a good solution, too.
      In my limited experience, I would agree with this.
      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I have a looper, analog delay, and digital delay/looper on my board.

I like delay and looping. If you are really serious about looping and not just making stupid recurring noises... get a pedal dedicated to the looping function.
        Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
        I dig the wood!

Comment

Originally posted by jcthejester13 View Post
          I have a looper, analog delay, and digital delay/looper on my board.

I like delay and looping. If you are really serious about looping and not just making stupid recurring noises... get a pedal dedicated to the looping function.
          That's what I plan on doing. I'm mainly only using the looper to lay down the rhythm guitar for a handful of songs, so I can add duel leads on it with the other guitarist.

If I get a DL4, that would be strictly looping.

Know any good dedicated loopers?

Boss has one, digitech has one, line 6, any others moderatley priced?
          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

I use a Carbon Copy, a DL-8, and a DD-7 on my board. I actually like the looper on the DD-7 much bettr than the one on the DL-8.
            Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

I have :

MXR Carbon Copy
              big box EHX DMM
              Ibanez DE-7
              Carl Martin Delay XL

. . . and i want some more

IMHO, a must-have delay-looper is this blue gem :

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

The Boss RC-20 is what I have on my board and I have been in love with it since the first time I have ever used it.

It seems to me that anyone who does BIG looping or consistent looping either goes for the RC-20 or the RC-50 depending on how deep their usage goes.

I haven't personally used the Headrush but I have heard only good things about it. The only potential downside is that it has a relatively short loop (16 seconds I think?). Which is probably fine for most people but I have on occasion had loops that go as long as 25-30 seconds.
                I dig the wood!

Comment

The DL-4 (correct me if I'm wrong) is a press-and-hold looper. If you get a looper, get a tap looper and try to keep away from the press-and-hold loopers.

That is precisely the reason I went away from the EHX Hazarai delay/looper for my primary looper.
                  I dig the wood!

Comment

I used to have two DL4's.
                    One for looping and one for delays/volume swells.
                    I also used to have a Jamman, that I used to record jam sessions.

I am working on getting most of my pedals back in action (had to sell everything a few years ago)

I currently have one DL4 and the SD Deja Vu delay pedal.

Jamman is probably better for looping, as you arent constrained with time limits. The DL4 is either 14 or 28 seconds, depending on how you set it up. Thats not really enough, for playing live, IMO. When you are forced to loop with minimal time length, it can make your loops annoying. The Jamman can loop as long as you want. It all depends though. Some people can use the DL4 just fine. I like it for noodling at home and jamming with friends, but thats it.
                    http://www.iainstone.com

Comment

DL4 is a tap to start, tap to stop looper. No pressing and holding going on.
                      http://www.iainstone.com

Comment

Correct- the DL4 has no press-and-hold functions. It is, however, a better uit for live improvisations using loops, since you can control the loop volume with your feet. For everything the Boss series can do, when you want to end the loop..it comes to an abrupt halt. The bigger Digitech loopers at least allow you to fade the loops out at a specified rate. If you are considering a DL4, you might want to look at the Line6 M9, which has the looping of the DL4 and a lot of other stuff too.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Correct- the DL4 has no press-and-hold functions. It is, however, a better uit for live improvisations using loops, since you can control the loop volume with your feet. For everything the Boss series can do, when you want to end the loop..it comes to an abrupt halt. The bigger Digitech loopers at least allow you to fade the loops out at a specified rate. If you are considering a DL4, you might want to look at the Line6 M9, which has the looping of the DL4 and a lot of other stuff too.
                          I'm looking for something that could fit on my pedalboard. I am considering the DL4, I used to own one. You own one right? How is it tone wise, clean recording playback? When solo'ing over the loop, does it interfere/cancel out at all?
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

The Boss DD-7 is tap to start and tap to stop also, while the Hardwire DL-8 you have to hold.
                            Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

I have 2 delays (Boss GigaDelay and DigiTech DigiDelay), and I want a 3rd (Ibanez DE7). Since I already have 2 which are loaded with features, the 3rd delay is not such a high priority.

The DD-20 has press to start, press to stop for the first track in the loop. To layer up tracks, it's press'n'hold.
                              Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Working...
                              X