Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attenuators?

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
    Not really cos even a 5W tube amp juiced is danged loud. My Marshall Class5 is way too loud for the home unless no-one is home but me, unless I am in low power mode, which sounds much worse as it is barely utilizing the power tube by nature of it's design. I'd rather use an attentuator such as the rock crusher or a Dr.Z Airbrake.

Not to mention things like tube difference make up a huge part of a signature sound- a Class5 with EL84s, does not sound like a 6550, El34, or KT66 equipped Marshall. Same with a low watt 6v6 Fender, and it's 6L6 cousins. You dont find any "mini" 2203s, or Twin Reverbs out there that sound the same.

So it most certainly has it's place and does not defeat it's purpose- it is simply another viable alternative without having to change your rig to something you may not want for the sake of a decrease in volume.
    +1

That is, I'd rather go for an attenuated 50W Plexi (taking it down to 22W's say) instead of a 22W Plexi clone. The difference is in the bass. Small amps simply don't have the thumb that big ones do.

It is expensive sure... But if it were to do serious attenuation without altering the tone... I guess it is worth it.

I forgot the name, yet there were these crazy expensive ones for which the waiting list was like a year long and all... No?

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Have A decked out Ultimate Attenuator - 2 channels, plexi switch, bedroom switch, etc. I thought i liked my Weber Mass Lite, but this thing is nuts. I guess you have to hear each one to decide...

Comment

I think on some of the tone snob sights they keep saying the Tone King is the best but its expensive. There was somthing else that had a light bulb in it to draw wattage away from the amp-not sure how it works-and they liked it as well. I will have to see if I can find the forum I was on to bring back info on it.

Comment

Working...
        X