Peavey Classic 30 heating up hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic 30 heating up hot!

I took my Classic 30 in for service... it will be a while before i hear back from the tech... in the mean time thought i'd pick your guys brains... My C30 is an older one... late to mid 90's i think... bought it used so i have no idea really... i've used it a lot...

but last weekend it got really hot!!! i was sitting on it as i played and the wooden cabnet got so warm i thought my jeans were going to melt... this was on a patio outside in the cool shade and the amps volume was never above 3... quiet patio open mic jam thing...

what on earth could of caused so much heat? i know EL-84's run hot but this was extreme
    Last edited by WhoFan; 10-15-2011, 05:41 PM.

Re: Peavey Classic 30 heating up hot!

Originally posted by rockandrollrods
    I've got an early 90s Classic 50 that someone installed a computer fan for the tubes in before I bought it. I think it's their completely enclosed area for the tubes that causes this. Don't know why it would get that hot out of no where though!
    ya i have early 90's C50 head, it has the fan built in... the tubes on that head are in a tight inclosed area so ya i could see them needing a van...

this C30 combo has the tubes hanging out in the open back... it was in the shade and i was not pushing it hard... i had a 65 Fender Deluxe that once had an issue where the tubes got too hot... something inside was allowing too much voltage to the brand new power tubes... they were melting inside almost and had to be replaced after 20 hours of service... that amp was like a space heater... makes me wonder if that is going on with the C30 too

Comment

Re: Peavey Classic 30 heating up hot!

maybe something to do with Peavey's automatic Bias circuit...

Comment

Working...
      X