No announcement yet.

Too much functionality? (delay content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much functionality? (delay content)

The deeper I dig into building a pedalboard the more I am wondering about some of my choices of pedals.

Currently I have a Boss DD20 and I love it. Such a killer delay pedal.

The thing is... I don't use it to it's full capability. I like Knowing what it Can do should I ever choose to do it.

So I consider selling it and downgrading to something simpler. I thought about a Line6 Echo Park and maybe a MXR Carbon Copy. Just to have two flavors on the floor.

Anyone else ever face this dilemma? Am I better off just sticking with what I have or should I consider "downgrading" which in the end may just suit me better...
    Myspace,GoodbyeJune Myspace

Re: Too much functionality? (delay content)

Hey, if the pedal does what you want I wouldn't feel bad about "not using it to it's full capability". That's crazy talk. It has all those knobbies on it so that you can tweak it to the sound you like.

Comment

I've just done the exact opposite. My delay went down and I decided to get something that will do more. I'd stick with it if you like what you get so far and start having some fun with the settings.

Comment

If you are digging the DD-20 then stick with it. You don't have to use every feature.

I wouldn't recommend the Echo Park. I had one and the delays were great but it was a tone sucker. Big difference when I took it out of the chain.

Comment

I forgot to say that I prefer the sound of the DD-20 to the Echo Park. The Carbon Copy, on the other hand...

Comment

I don't use all the functions on the Cathedral, but I couldn't replace it with any other verb pedal...

there's no sense in "downgrading" unless you absolutely have to
            Originally posted by gibson175
            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

If you have a Porsche you might not use it's full horsepower all the time,
              But it's good to know that big engine is under the hood if you ever need it.

The DD-20 is incredible, keep it man.
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

My favorite delay of all time is the Electro Harmonix Memory Man Deluxe. Mine is about five years old now. Never owned any effect that I've liked more. Very simple to operate on the fly - just reach over and turn a knob or two. Can also be used to thicken up the tone and add a little gain. It's the best delay for the way I play that I've ever owned.

Comment

All good points. I should just take the time to dig in and make 4 super usable patches. I know I'd miss a lot of what this can do if I ever let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by beggar_guitar View Post
                    All good points. I should just take the time to dig in and make 4 super usable patches. I know I'd miss a lot of what this can do if I ever let it go.
                    That's what I've done.. Do you have an external tap tempo? I highly recommend that.
                    My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                      That's what I've done.. Do you have an external tap tempo? I highly recommend that.

Just recently got one. That was such a pet peeve of mine.

Comment

I would keep the dd20 and still get another delay ala carbon copy
                        Originally posted by grumptruck
                        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                        Originally posted by Gear Used
                        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                        Mesa Stiletto Ace
                        Gurus 5015
                        Mesa Widebody 1X12
                        Pedalboard

Comment

I actually think it is a good idea to downgrade, but not because of features. If you can sell your $200+ boss and get a $100+ delay you will save money and pedalboard space. So long as you can find a suitable delay with the features that you need it is a worthy endeavor. I am a big fan of the hardwire dl-8. Absolutely packed with features, but the size of a normal boss pedal, and costs less than your dd20.

Comment

Working...
                          X