Boost Pedal Recommedation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost Pedal Recommedation

Due to volume restrictions I'm now using a Black Heart 5 watter into a 2x12 cab with Greenbacks. With the amp on 8 the volume level in fine for cleans and raunchy rock, I use a TS9 for the really dirty rhythms.
    I need a boost pedal that will get the volume above the rest of the band when doing solos. I've tried the Boss GE7 and BBE Boosta Grande but these just do do it.
    I may be on to a Fulltone Fat Boost II, specs say it puts out up to 30db of boost.
    Any suggestion or recommedations?
    Thanks
    "Gourmet Tone at a fraction of the price"

Re: Boost Pedal Recommedation

50db of boost. This-

Comment

Holy high volume!! That pedal would kick the crap out of the Blackheart! The price is good, may have to try one.
      Thanks

Comment

I would say an EQ pedal. Maybe the MXR 10 band. Or try the Fulltone. I have a Fulldrive 2 and it is more than adequate for my needs.
        Myspace,GoodbyeJune Myspace

Comment

Comment

Depending on how much gain you are starting with, a boost add more distortion than an actual boost. I would recommend the z.vex SHO as a thick, punchy, loud boost.

Do you have an effects loop on the amp? Even the GE-7 will add a tremendous volume boost when put in the loop.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by beggar_guitar View Post
              I would say an EQ pedal. Maybe the MXR 10 band.
              I too would deff recommend the 10 band MXR !
              Its a GREAT tool to have !
              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I've got a cheap and good boost (and buffer) from this1smyne.com.
                My Soundclick

Comment

For a clean boost pedal, try the ZVex SHO, the HBE Baja Mos or Dos Mos, or the Creation Audio Labs boost. I like the HBE's myself, not too expensive and the Dos Mos has a ton of versatility since you get two boosts that can be run separately or into each other, and it offers a switchable buffer and dual outputs.
                  Originally posted by ratherdashing
                  If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

A 5 watt amp on 8 already being run with a TS9 won't have much room for much boost unless it has an FX loop...

If you have a loop almost any boost will work if you have no loop you might get lucky, it just depends.

My fav clean boost pedals are the ZVex SHO and ZVex Super Duper. The Angry Troll is also really great, the MXR/CAE Line Driver is good too.
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

fatboost is good for that amp cos the blackheart can get a little raspy in the high end, the fb lets you trim the tops and the bottom to bring out the best in your little amp. i had a blackheart for a week and hated it but it might just have been because of the stock emi speaker.
                      Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-26-2011, 04:20 AM.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The Blackheart 5 watt amp has no effects loop. Whatever boost pedal I use will need to be a high output. The Boosta Grande works but a few more dbs are needed to get above the band for solos.
                        I may snag the Fulltone Fat Boost II that is being sold locally or go for the Angry Troll.

Comment

MXR Micro Amp works for me.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Listening to that clip on the Angry Troll, it really affects the tone!!

It cuts the highs...a lot!

And boosts the mids.

A more transparent boost is the Micro Amp. And it's half the price.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You say you've already tried a GE-7 and it didn't work out? While not the greatest sounding boost pedal available a GE-7 can bump up the signal quite a lot. I am wondering whether, with the amp already running at 8, there is not a lot of headroom left for you to get a volume boost from adding a pedal in front. Chances are you are just adding to the distortion by pushing already-pushed power tubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X