banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage 30s, Greenbacks, or G12T-75s????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vintage 30s, Greenbacks, or G12T-75s????

I've used everything under the sun over the years, but nothing sounded as good as my cab with greenbacks. I was a V30 guy for a long time, but the greenbacks just make me feel warm and fuzzy when my amp gets all warm and fuzzy.

Comment

I used to dislike T75's, mostly from my JCM900 days, but I think it was probably the amp because the more I play on them the more I like them now. They do require you to re-eq, I guess that's too much to ask of a lot of dudes who would rather complain about them on the internet than turn a few knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
        lol....
        t75s are fine. IN fact they are one of the industry's standard speakers. They work especially well with modern (ie, 800 and later) high gain marshalls. They are good for thickening the bottom end of what are usually not bottom heavy amps.
        Buy 'em.
        Try em. sell em if you dont like 'em.
        They will definitely slay what you are using now.
        Its a 100 dollar gamble, that you can recoup if you decide to sell them on....

Selecting speakers from what cork sniffers tell you on the net will drive you mad.

You run your mids on 3 anyway and your treble and presence high with the crap speakers you have got. Turn up your mids a knotch or two if you are that stressed out! The other cool thing about having a less present speaker is that you can secretly turn your amp master up a bit and not get in people's faces (....shhhh, its our secret!).

This stuff is not rocket science - and dont forget that those things (t75s) sound better the more you push them. They worked fine for a whole generation of guitar gods.

+1
        Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzfiend101 View Post
          Yeah, the scooped mid speakers are what my buddy's trying to get me to buy, and it's sort of a mutual thing... I think that perhaps any speaker would be an improvement over the Crate's stock speakers, but I'm interested in these off brand speakers, like Hellatone, now. Do they stand up against Celestions?
          Hellatones are Celestions that Avatar breaks in for you

Comment

T75s suck, IMHO. Cheap crap. I'd rather have fewer "real" speakers.

I am not generally a friend of all that rectro'n'v30s craze. I think to make them sound good the v30s need an oversized cab.

The expensive Celestions sound much better for general purpose, unfortunately.

Comment

I own two Crate Vintage Club 50 heads, so I'm pretty familiar with where you are coming from tone wise. These are great sounding heads that deliver amazing cleans. Many of the Vintage Club series amps came stock with Crate speakers that were essentially Eminence Legend 125s.

I also own a few G12T-75s, Vintage 30s and Greenbacks. To my ears, the VC50 line takes best to the Greenbacks. It preserves the amp's cleans very well. I like both the G12T-75 and the Vintage 30. The VC 50 takes very well to the Vintage 30 and the G12T-75. You just have to make some EQ adjustments, but the Greenback beats them both in this application.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                l

This stuff is not rocket science - .
                ugh, yeah..it kind of is..;

Reinholdt uses a cbinet loaded with G12-T'75's for his scorchers.
                I think guys (LUcid?) use 12-75's with 12-30's fr a great dynamic and full sound.
                I really like how the G-12-75 Cedlestions have a very touch sensitive and dynamic responsive sound. I used to hate em, but yeah, they are good speakers.
                Last edited by MetalManiac; 01-19-2012, 01:49 AM.
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                X