banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do in my situation? (craving heavier tones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you do in my situation? (craving heavier tones)

10 band and a tube screamer

Comment

Originally posted by lex666 View Post
      Mark V.

Super cleans. Vintage & modern style 'break-up'. Awesome crunch. Super tite heavy. Liquid solos. Tube or diode rectifiers... 10, 45, & 90 watt selection. Variac "sag" option. Built in EQ. Footswitchable loop, solo boost, EQ. 3 channels. 9 modes. EL34 option. Nuff said.
      Honestly if the Mark V existed when I bought the Stiletto, I'm pretty sure I'd have a Mark V right now and this thread wouldn't exist.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I'd definitely try one of the AMT preamps in the loop of the stiletto. E-1 and S-1 are really good.
        Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
        Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
        Musicians are ****ing retards.
        Originally posted by ex-250
        Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

I know exactly where you're coming from bro. Unfortunately, the only real solution I've found was running 2 heads and a switcher. Like Glassman said, it's not so much your preamp, as it is the EL34's in the power section. Once I switched my Tremoverb over to EL34's it sounds freaking awesome, but it did lose that tight low end grunt and definition when you turn the gain up or switch modes. I think that's the main reason I still the keep the Triple Rect around(well that and all the hassle I had to go through to get it lol).

In all honesty, if you're looking for that heavier Mesa type tone, the only place you're going to get it is a rectifier series amp. If it were me, I'd look for a used single rectifier and go from there.

Then again, the Mark V and the RoadKing/Roadster amps would work just as well. I know you said you didn't think you would use the 4 channels on the Roadster, but ya never know. I don't know what the prices are up there, but here, the used prices on the MarkV and the Roadster are pretty close to each other.
          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Simplify!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
              Simplify!
              Nah, that's too simple.

Welcome back!

Comment

Thanks...
                Yeah go simple...it is liberating!

Comment

1 problem I have always had with the Mesas

not enough knobs
                  Originally posted by MikeS
                  a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                  Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                  whats becoming of this generation
                  We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Reload in 5 View Post
                    1 problem I have always had with the Mesas

not enough knobs

LOL, cool thing about Mesa's:

More knobs on the back!
                    Last edited by lex666; 12-07-2011, 01:49 PM.
                    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                    DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
                      I know exactly where you're coming from bro. Unfortunately, the only real solution I've found was running 2 heads and a switcher. Like Glassman said, it's not so much your preamp, as it is the EL34's in the power section. Once I switched my Tremoverb over to EL34's it sounds freaking awesome, but it did lose that tight low end grunt and definition when you turn the gain up or switch modes. I think that's the main reason I still the keep the Triple Rect around(well that and all the hassle I had to go through to get it lol).

In all honesty, if you're looking for that heavier Mesa type tone, the only place you're going to get it is a rectifier series amp. If it were me, I'd look for a used single rectifier and go from there.

Then again, the Mark V and the RoadKing/Roadster amps would work just as well. I know you said you didn't think you would use the 4 channels on the Roadster, but ya never know. I don't know what the prices are up there, but here, the used prices on the MarkV and the Roadster are pretty close to each other.
                      There's a Single Rec floating around craigslist here. I could probably get it for around $900. I'd then also have to spend around $300 on a good switching system so I could run both amps. So that's $1,200 out of my pocket, plus I'm now running a two amp rig with all the logistical issues that entails.

MEANWHILE ... I could probably get $1k for the Stiletto on the used market, then buy a new Mark V or Roadster for $2,100 (neither amp ever seems to be available used). I'm out $1,100 and I have one awesome amp.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        actually thats full cut on 750, not much better though
                        Yeah you're right actually.
                        Someone was trying to channel Dimebag!
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Another thing to consider with a dual head setup switched into one set of cabs is that you've always got a backup head in case one fails. Not an issue at home if you got other amps, but a life saver on stage or just before (if each are flexible enough to cover enough of what the other delivers, or with pedals to make up for anything missed).

One reason why I'm shying away from trying to find one amp that does it all...as much as I'd love a roadking, it's like having all my nukes in one bunker...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                            There's a Single Rec floating around craigslist here. I could probably get it for around $900. I'd then also have to spend around $300 on a good switching system so I could run both amps. So that's $1,200 out of my pocket, plus I'm now running a two amp rig with all the logistical issues that entails.

MEANWHILE ... I could probably get $1k for the Stiletto on the used market, then buy a new Mark V or Roadster for $2,100 (neither amp ever seems to be available used). I'm out $1,100 and I have one awesome amp.
                            If you can stand buying used it is undoubtedly the best way to go as depreciation can be a killer if you ever decide to sell or have to sell for whatever reason. Not to mention the **** economy these days will get you even less money for your gear (if you can even find anyone interested with the cash as I've found things very difficult to sell lately via CL). Having said that, I'd keep your eye out for a Single Rectifier that looks well taken care of and that is still under the 5 year transferable warranty as you will get the most for your money and won't take such a huge hit as far as depreciation if you ever end up selling it. Out of the 4 tubes amps I have bought used via Ebay I have only ever had one issue (cold solder joint) with a DSL50 that I had briefly.
                            Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM.
                            Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                            Roland Cube 60
                            Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                            BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                            LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                            Mogami Cables
                            Mooer Candy Toppers
                            Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                            Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Originally posted by gvis View Post
                              Another thing to consider with a dual head setup switched into one set of cabs is that you've always got a backup head in case one fails. Not an issue at home if you got other amps, but a life saver on stage or just before (if each are flexible enough to cover enough of what the other delivers, or with pedals to make up for anything missed).

One reason why I'm shying away from trying to find one amp that does it all...as much as I'd love a roadking, it's like having all my nukes in one bunker...lol.
                              Speaking of Roadkings I have seen some used ones go for 2k. Not to mention one was a 2011 model. As I said, used is definately a good way to go if you can handle it.....
                              Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 12-07-2011, 09:51 PM.
                              Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                              Roland Cube 60
                              Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                              BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                              LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                              Mogami Cables
                              Mooer Candy Toppers
                              Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                              Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Lots and lots and lots of advice in this thread, much of which is good.

I don't use a modern metal tone, myself. Matt, you know where my tastes lie so I won't go into it here.

That being said, if I was going for a thick, modern metal sound... I would probably just run a Dual Rec with a boost of some kind in front (maybe even a comp with the output boosted), and a pretty aggressive gate and an MXR 10-band in the loop.. and be done with it.

THAT being said, if, as I know you do, you require versatility and are reluctant to give up all your ideal Stiletto sounds, you should know that actually gigging a two-amp setup is a gigantic pain in the *******. Take everything that could conceivably go wrong with your rig at a gig and double it. Now with that little nugget, learn to appreciate the extra trip during load in/out and the added couple of minutes of set-up time. It wasn't worth it to me. It is to others though. YMMV

If I'm you, I buy two pedals. I buy an MXR 10-band for the loop and a metal-friendly distortion for out front... probably a Metal Muff. Merely because The Sword and Torche use them and I like their tones a lot.
                                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Working...
                                X