banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC15 is kind of noisy. Help me find my issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC15 is kind of noisy. Help me find my issue!

I've got a fairly new AC15C1. I got it in April. Brand new.

Recently I've had some noise issues.

One of them is a noticable buzz. Tonight I worked my way through my signal path and decided that it is a combination of a grounding issue involving the outlet being used and some bad wiring in my guitar.

But I've also noticed the amp has a squeal to comes through from time to time. I had sat my guitar down and muted all my pedals but there was a soft squeal to be heard on occasion. Sometimes it sounded like slight feedback and other times it was more sharp and abrupt.

Could my tubes be going bad already? I'm not noticing a great difference in my overall tone though.

I've noticed the noice with different guitars, on different outlets and both with and without my pedals.

What could I be missing?

If it is tubes... do I replace all or just the power tubes? I've heard the others don't go bad as quick. Or do I have that backwards? What would be a good replacement?

Thanks
    Myspace,GoodbyeJune Myspace

Re: AC15 is kind of noisy. Help me find my issue!

Every tube amp owner should own at least 4 extra 12AX7's, because weird amp noises are usually attributed to them. Power tubes are either strong, weak, or blown. Microphonics and hum are usually pre tube related.

Bad wiring in houses, building, and apartments is notorious for hum and electronic ticking sounds.

Bad guitar wiring can usually be troubleshot by touching the strings to kill hum.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
      Every tube amp owner should own at least 4 extra 12AX7's, because weird amp noises are usually attributed to them. Power tubes are either strong, weak, or blown. Microphonics and hum are usually pre tube related.

Bad wiring in houses, building, and apartments is notorious for hum and electronic ticking sounds.

Bad guitar wiring can usually be troubleshot by touching the strings to kill hum.
      Thanks...

I don't have a good local shop. Where would be a good place to order tubes from?
      I'll do a forum search on how to check for bad tubes.

How much affect will new pre tubes have on the overall tone? And should I change all 3 or just the first in line? V1 I think...
      I figure if the power tubes are Ok I can leave 'em alone if unless I'm wanting to tweak my overall tone.

I was playing at church tonight when I really noticed it. Some wiring issues wouldn't surprise me. I've certainly not noticed near as much hum when playing at home.

Comment

Start with one good extra 12AX7. First, install it in the first position (furthest from power tubes). Then play the amp. If it's not solved, move it to the second position and so on, till you've eliminated the possibility of a bad pre tube.

Take the amp somewhere else and plug it in. Try a different cable. Try other guitars.
        Try new power tubes. It's one of those things. If not, have a more experienced tech minded guy troubleshoot it.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

what jones said.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

some people love JJ tubes some people are iffy on them...i personally love them! if you go that route...Eurotubes has always been top notch!
            Originally posted by jeremy
            God hates bad guitar tone
            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I am doing research on what tubes to replace them with. I sent an e-mail over at Dougs Tubes to see what they recommend.

Comment

I've dealt with Doug's Tubes before and gotta say they were great.
                Hard Rock - gain on 5 - singing about good times.

Heavy Metal - gain on 10 - screaming about something.

---Gearjoneser
                he was trying to convince her to swing.

That's like taking a Ferrari to a mud bog.--Ginormous

Comment

Working...
                X