Filling my 4x12 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling my 4x12 cab

I have an empty pre-MFD JCM800 4x12 that I want to fill with something G12-65 alike. (The only speakers I have are one working and one broken EV-12L but those probably aren't use for this).

I got a used G12-65. I know I will get one WGS ET-65 and an Emminence Tonespotter. So that makes 3.

What do I do with the 4th slot?
    - There is the Weber 1265 but I heard a lot of bad things about it and it's more expensive.
    - Should I just use a EV in the 4th slot until I decide what I go with in the end? - Or screw experimentation and get 3x ET-65?
    - Or try a G12H?

Re: Filling my 4x12 cab

What's wrong with your 2nd 12L?

People seem to like the ET65's, and the price is right.

Looks like I'm gonna have 8 (yes, eight) original G12-65's soon, but 3 have rips in the cones. Great speakers.

Comment

You should keep it empty and fill it up with beer. Think about it, you would never ever have to pay for beer at a show again. It'll be right up there with you the whole time.
      Last edited by mwalluk; 12-12-2011, 12:42 PM.
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Originally posted by Gear Used
      PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
      Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
        I have an empty pre-MFD JCM800 4x12 that I want to fill with something G12-65 alike. (The only speakers I have are one working and one broken EV-12L but those probably aren't use for this).

I got a used G12-65. I know I will get one WGS ET-65 and an Emminence Tonespotter. So that makes 3.

What do I do with the 4th slot?
        - There is the Weber 1265 but I heard a lot of bad things about it and it's more expensive.
        - Should I just use a EV in the 4th slot until I decide what I go with in the end? - Or screw experimentation and get 3x ET-65?
        - Or try a G12H?
        You have a G12-65 and are adding to clones of that speaker more or less. I would imaging staying with that formula makes the most sense

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
          You should keep it empty and fill it up with beer. Think about it, you would never ever have to pay for beer at a show again. It'll be right up there with you the whole time.
          [/QUOTE]

It was but now it's empty again.

[QUOTE=mwalluk;3038256]
          Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
          What's wrong with your 2nd 12L?
          No reading. Needs a recone. I could consider reconing it and running it in there but 2x EV12L will be LOUD.

People seem to like the ET65's, and the price is right.

Looks like I'm gonna have 8 (yes, eight) original G12-65's soon, but 3 have rips in the cones. Great speakers.
          Hmmmm, want

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
          You have a G12-65 and are adding to clones of that speaker more or less. I would imaging staying with that formula makes the most sense
          The idea is to find out what works. If the clones all suck I get rid of them and pony up for the real thing. If one of the clones does really well I'll fill the cabinet with that one.

Comment

Seriously tho, I'm a fan of the EVM 12L's, they work for just about any style I played.
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Originally posted by Gear Used
            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

Seriously tho, I'm a fan of the EVM 12L's, they work for just about any style I played.
              I suppose I could recone the broken 12L.

Then I can run the EVs in the lower deck and the slant section is G12-65ed for now.

Comment

It was but now it's empty again.

No reading. Needs a recone. I could consider reconing it and running it in there but 2x EV12L will be LOUD.

Hmmmm, want

The idea is to find out what works. If the clones all suck I get rid of them and pony up for the real thing. If one of the clones does really well I'll fill the cabinet with that one.
                Not much help to you but I absolutely love the Tonespotter in its own right in my ISO cab. Lots of greenback character with the low end of a g12h30 and 75w power handling which is essential for a 1x12 cab. I don't know how closely it replicates the 12-65 though.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                  I suppose I could recone the broken 12L.

Then I can run the EVs in the lower deck and the slant section is G12-65ed for now.
                  I would do this, the quieter G12's up top would keep it from blowing your face off like the EV's would too. That EV isn't doing you any good in it's current condition either.

I'm probably getting the best sounding Butcher I've heard and 2 way huge '70's Kustom vented back 4x12's with all original G12's from my guitarist in trade for my way rare Tama artwood snare. I haven't decided if I'm gonna do it yet, I didn't realize that 3 speakers had rips in them, so I still gotta check it out. Hopefully they're real minor and I can fix them pretty easy.

I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to play real loud on 30 year old speaker cones in vented cabs.

Comment

I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to play real loud on 30 year old speaker cones in vented cabs.
                    I have never been quite convinced that open or vented cabs are actually worse than closed ones, as long as you stay in the power envelope of course (if the coil melts down nothing matters).

The stress on the cone should be equal or even higher in the closed cab since it works against the air pressure or underpressure in the cab. That's gonna have quite a bit of extra force on the cone.

Comment

Looks like the tonespotter isn't available in 16 ohm. Meh. I think I'm gonna get two wgs and an EV recone kit.

Comment

The concern is too much movement in an open back because the lack of back pressure, at least that's the impression I got. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

DO IT!

Comment

The concern is too much movement in an open back because the lack of back pressure, at least that's the impression I got. Maybe I'm wrong.
                            Yeah but the movement isn't bad if the air offers less resistance.

Now I need to check the ohm-ness of my existing 12L.

Comment

They only made them in 8 ohms...

Comment

Working...
                              X