No announcement yet.

Good OD pedal for Metal leads/rhythm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good OD pedal for Metal leads/rhythm?

Another vote for the Fulldrive 2, if you're willing to drop the cash for one. It's a great pedal that will keep you satisfied and it's got a sound for any situation.

You might also think about a Danelectro CoolCat Transparent OD. IIRC it's supposed to be a clone of the Fulltone OCD. I had one for a few weeks here in Spain, never got to try it with my rig back home though. They're cheap enough with enough tweaking options that if you don't like it, you wouldn't be out too much.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

i like the mxr too....but im gonna vote for a fulldrive, cos it can do the mxr sounds, tubescreamer sounds and a lot more.
      I've listened to some demos and it really sounds great and is pretty versatile. I really dig the vintage setting. What about it's tightness? Does it tighten up the low end, leave it as it is or make it muddier?
      We spit on those who choose to pose, we thrash with all the rest!

Comment

Don't forget the Boss SD-1.
        Widow - "we have songs".
        Originally posted by Aceman
        Mega gain pup plus mega gain amp usually equals mega crap.

Comment

I going to build a Fulltone OCD pedal for about $40 bucks
          http://www.madbeanpedals.com/project.../EgoDriver.pdf
          Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
          Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
          I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
          Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
          Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
          Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
          Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
          Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

another nod to the mxr classic od, I really dig mine with my 6505+, another trick I've used in the past is using a distortion box with the mids cranked and minimal gain, that works very good for metal leads....

Comment

Could someone please compare the low end tightness of the Fulldrive, the MXR Classic, MXR Zakk Wylde and the Tubescreamer?

Comment

In order from tightest to least: ZW, GT, TS9, but the variation is very little. I have no experience with the Fulldrive, but Gibson175 says that the MXR sounds like it.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                  In order from tightest to least: ZW, GT, TS9, but the variation is very little. I have no experience with the Fulldrive, but Gibson175 says that the MXR sounds like it.
                  Can't speak to the MXR drives but I find the Fulldrive's low end to be tight enough for me pushing my Mark IV. It will keep things tight for low end riffing but dynamic for chords and fast soloing. A Tubescreamer is very similar as well, I've had a lot more play time on the FD2 though.
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I ordered a amptweaker tight boost. I will report my findings. By the way mxr classic and zw-44 are great. I also like the sd-1 if you pull c6

Comment

Ok, today I went to my local guitar store and tried out the Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet, the OCD and the Xotic EP Booster.

The OCD was lame. It sounded kinda harsh to my ears and didn't make my soud fuller and warmer as I expected. It's also lacking mids imo. I also tried it with very little gain and maxed volume in front of a high gain channel and it beefed the sound up quite a bit. That was the only useable application for me.

The Fulltone was really amazing! It sounded great both as an overdrive on a clean channel and as a boost on the rhythm/lead channel. I really dig what it does to the mids on the "vintage" setting. Kinda reminds me of a Tubescreamer but it's way more versatile. BUT it's quite noisy. It's phenomenal as an overdrive on a clean channel for those middy, bluesy old-school Les Paul sounds and it's also a very nice boost for high gain stuff, especially for lead work.

The Xotic EP Booster surprised me the most. I plugged it in and just couldn't stop smilin'. Basically, it doesn't color the sound, it just adds some awesomeness to it. Very hard to describe. The riffs get heavier and chunkier and the leads sing much more. That thing makes the sound fuller and more organic. Just imagine your favorite sound and add pure awesomeness to it The EP Booster definitely delivers! Check it out!

Next time I'll check out the MXR ODs, Ibanez Tubescreamers and some other stuff but so far, I'm really amazed by the Fulldrive and the EP Booster.

Comment

Working...
                      X