JCM800 4104 with V30s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JCM800 4104 with V30s?

I always recommend V30's and use them mainly myself. Though in a 2x12 I like other speakers better personally. T75's, WGS V30 variants, Eminence Legends, Swamp Thangs etc. all sound great in a nice 2x12 cab.
    V30's can sound very dark and directional, with boxy and blurry mids in 2x12's.
    4x12's are really where V30's sound their best. They just have more room to throw their weight around. Then the mids have clarity, the bass thumps and the crunch sizzles better.
    I use WGS Retro 30's in my 2x12. As well as Veteran 30's sometimes. They're less intense than the Celestions. Really sweet sounding, but still very aggressive when need be.
    I would look into the WGS ET-65 too. I had a pair for a while and they sounded great with all my amps. Marshall's are known to love the G12-65's that they are based off of. That would give you a 130 watt cab.
    The WGS Reaper HP is another option too. A powerful 50 watt G12H30 variant making it a 100 watt cab for your 50 watt amp.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
      Which OD pedal do you plan to use with it? On Marshalls, I really like the MXR Classic OD, and the Green Rhino if I want it fatter with infinite sustain.

Most aftermarket speakers that are Vin 30 inspired will do the same thing. Finding the perfect OD pedal for it is the final tweak.
      Right now, I'm using MXR Microamp to push it into Metal Territory. I try to not dime the preamp gain so I can still clean it up with my guitar's volume knob. I also have MXR ZW OD and TS9. I alternate between them before my microamp acquisition.

I have an SD1 though I rarely use it -- it's just there because it's a "classic" and needed to compare it against the TS9. I also have a DS1 and MXR Dist3 which I love to use as ODs.

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
      Then the mids have clarity, the bass thumps and the crunch sizzles better.
      I use WGS Retro 30's in my 2x12. As well as Veteran 30's sometimes. They're less intense than the Celestions. Really sweet sounding, but still very aggressive when need be.
      That's good. Based on the youtube clips, you can clearly hear the V30s are more aggressive. Though the soundclip from WGS's website, the Veteran 30s are also pretty aggressive. Although, the V30s did sound more 3D to me. Is this accurate? Or is this just youtube being youtube?

I would look into the WGS ET-65 too. I had a pair for a while and they sounded great with all my amps. Marshall's are known to love the G12-65's that they are based off of. That would give you a 130 watt cab.
      The WGS Reaper HP is another option too. A powerful 50 watt G12H30 variant making it a 100 watt cab for your 50 watt amp.
      My current speakers are re-coned Rola G12-65s. Not sure if what I'm hearing right now is a representative of a vintage or reissue G12-65s. I considered a while back getting WGS ET-65s, until they had a sale here for V30s. I plan on getting a 2x12 extension cab for my JCM800, so when I have my extension 2x12, I will put back those re-coned G12-65s. The end result is a kinda like a 4x12 with Veteran 30s on top and G12-65s at the bottom. I plan on making the extension cab a closed-back one.

Comment

^ I believe his AFD100 has V30s in it?

Comment

Okay... suddenly, someone is selling in used and broken in GH12 "Greenbacks". I believe these are 25 watts each, so 2 of these should be good for my 50-watt 4104 right?

Although, if this clip is accurate, then it seems like the "greenback" is NOT for me... Link V30 vs G12H greenback

I'm glad I haven't made the order of the WGS yet though. At least I have time to hear your opinions
          Last edited by fretburner; 01-13-2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Greenbacks are gone. Bummer.

Comment

Pulled the trigger! I'm excited!

Products on order:
              2 x 12" Veteran 30 - 60 watts - $138.00 ($69.00 each)
              SKU: BV_VET30_16
              • Impedance: 16 Ohm

Comment

Working...
              X