Reverend Hellhound Reverb Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverend Hellhound Reverb Issue

For the past year, when I started playing again after a very long break, my 2002 hellhound's reverb is on even when I've set the control to off.

It's very slight, as if set to 1, but I am sure it's reverb and not something else. I've been ignoring it while I focus on other setup efforts, but now I want to deal with it before I start recording again.

I've never replaced any of the tubes, but I've been meaning to...lol...10 years, I know. Can an old reverb driver tube cause this, or am I looking at internal issues?

Re: Reverend Hellhound Reverb Issue

That would most likely be a dirty reverb pot (as in corroded from lack of use). When I first got mine (second hand) it had been sitting for months and the reverb was on FULL when the control was turned all the way off!

Try turning it off and then on a bunch of times - kind of wiggling it from full off to slightly on. This may work through the corrosion if that's what it is.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to take out the chassis and spray a shot of tuner cleaner (available at Radio Shack) into the pot and then repeat the wiggling thing. You'll see a little slot on the side of the pot that's made for just this.

It's always possible that you need to replace the pot, but on my HH the tuner cleaner did the job just fine!

_
    Last edited by MrBluefellow; 12-15-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Ah, ok, thanks, that makes sense. I just had it open over Thanksgiving when I chopped it up into a head. But it's easy eneough to pull the chassis again. And I have the pot cleaner, so I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Good deal.

And if you don't feel like dealing with it right now, you can always simply pull V4 - the tube that's off on its own near the front of the cabinet. That's the reverb drive/recovery tube. Pulling it won't harm anything and as an added bonus you'll have a bit more gain available ... just a smidge.

Comment

I just sent you email with a request for help.

Comment

Got it and sent what you need. Thnaks for offering hellhound help in the future. I may need it when I replace the schizo switch with a jack so I run a foot switch. Looks easy, but you never know.

Amp the pot spray helped, but there's still a trace of reverb, which is fine of now. Eventually I'll use a reverb pedal anyway and will just pull the tube then (or sooner if it shows up in recordings).

Comment

Working...
            X