banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know that Ross Distortion I'm fixin'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know that Ross Distortion I'm fixin'?

Some of you may remember that thread, I'm trying to repair a Ross Distortion just like this one:

I remember playing it in '97-98 with my very first electric (yamaha RGX) through a Peavey KB/A and I just remember it being a crackling nightmare, cheap sounding, very inorganic withouth any good gain sound whatsoever. Of course now I realize it was mostly the amp...

Now that it's working "ok", I've had a chance to play it a bit more through my present amps...

God, it's actually very very good!

The pedal is noisy but that still may be a grounding issue.

Blackheart Killer Ant:
    The thing's got balls! It's actually quite impressive. There's not tone or EQ of any sort on it but it does sound aggressive with a LOT of gain, not buzzy, kind of a mid-way point between a good crunch and recto-ish sound. Very surprising and pleasant.
    It'd definitely not an OD, very distortion box but still, it reacts very well over the overdriven amp. Plenty of mids, lows and it's very rich harmonically speaking (I've never heard my fingers squeak that much while playing).

Orange TH30:
    I didn't expect much playing the pedal through this one and I was right and wrong...
    Over the clean channel it's very very cool. A bit "dry", not warm at all but not lacking anything either. Reminds me a lot of the tones a lot of hardcore bands get through their 5150s. I think gainy and dry really describe it well. It wouldn't be my main tone but would work very very well for some styles and is worth having.
    Over the dirty channel it was horrible. There's some weird frequency cancellation happening and it feels like the volume dropping by 1/2. Everything gets farty and, well, horrible.

All in all, had this thing been working through the last 10 years, it probably would've been a staple of my rig. I really sounds great and I wish I could've tried it over my former JCM800. I truly prefer it over my DS-1 at the moment, it's just juicy-er (don't get me wrong, that Spina-modded DS-1 is a jem but, if I can get the noise out of this one it'll be a monster).

I now have the proper motivation to finish it properly and rebuild it to last. I think I'll change the old jack inputs and buy new pots...

If you ever find one cheap get it... I exchanged this against a pack of smokes I found back then... I did ok!

Re: You know that Ross Distortion I'm fixin'?

I had one of those!!!! It's been 25 years ago and any negative comments I might have about it were probably due to my lack of playing ability back then......
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Great pedal - nice blend of vintage vibe with some grinding distortion. Sends a moderately overdriven amp into sonic bliss.

Comment

Very cool. Glad ya got it working.

Comment

Well, it's working but definitely not "reliable" so I'm gonna order a few more parts and restore all that I can to make it as solid and "new" as possible...

Should be very cool once it's all up in proper working order.

Comment

Working...
          X