A bit of a tech question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of a tech question

Not sure if this would work, but if it can, how would LEDs affect tone in place of diodes in a audio circut like a OD pedal or preamp?

Re: A bit of a tech question

Originally posted by TSE View Post
    Not sure if this would work, but if it can, how would LEDs affect tone in place of diodes in a audio circut like a OD pedal or preamp?
    LEDs are diodes actually...Depends on the size and color of the diodes...Crunchy,louder,tighter sounding...Best to try them and see what "your" ears tell ya?
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
      LEDs are diodes actually...Depends on the size and color of the diodes...Crunchy,louder,tighter sounding...Best to try them and see what "your" ears tell ya?
      Sounds better already! Going to switch the diode gain stage in my VK to LEDs now Thanks

Comment

leds are good....ive installed them in a ds1 (obvioulsy), but also a tubescreamer - turned it into a warm fat midstrong boost it could still overdrive in the higher gain settings too. I liked the effect so much i installed some in my 1975 musicman amp. It increased the headroom, fattened it up and made it sound more natural. LEDS are sweet in a lot of applications.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thanks guys, really looking forward to doing another mod to my VK this weekend now

Comment

So what colors and sizes do what?
            I'm curious.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

if you got'em, solder a socket in there. makes testing out different diodes easy as pie.
              Beer me!
              Originally posted by Kam
              ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                So what colors and sizes do what?
                I'm curious.
                +1

Comment

dunno...ive only ever tried regular 3mm red ones...sorry.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                  X