X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone see the new ampeg series?

The GVT? Anybody tried one yet?

This is the one I'm looking at....
    Last edited by Andrew Lamprecht; 12-20-2011, 09:40 AM.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: Anyone see the new ampeg series?

Hadn't seen them yet...

I like this one...Ampeg GVT15-112

Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Sweet! If they're anything like the Jets they were selling a couple of years back they'll be killer!

Comment

been reading very mixed reviews...
        Originally posted by jeremy
        God hates bad guitar tone
        GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
        AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
        EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
        Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

First off, I am a huge Ampeg proponent. I think their amps are easily the best. I have five guitar amps and four of them are Ampegs. I don't dislike other companies; I just think Ampegs are the ****.

I tried the 50 watter at True Tone Music here in L.A. It sounded great.

However, Ampegs are now built overseas, and they don't even come close to living up to their past greatness in terms of build quality. The new post-SLM ones have a terrible track record as far as durability, according to amp repairmen and music shop employees I've talked to. Basically, the new company flushed Ampeg's reputation for building brick ****houses down the toilet overnight.

These new ones are also expensive for what they are.

So my take on the new ones is that they really do sound good, but they are badly overpriced for the amount of build quality you get. I don't trust the quality of Ampegs since SLM sold the company. You can get old V-series amps for less on the used market. While they may not have as many features, they are hands down "better" amps, and better "value" (bang for the buck) amps. I'd get a used V-2 or VT40 before that new 50W one any day.

P.S. If you want a great 15W Ampeg, pick up a Diamond Blue Jet II: J-12T or J-12R. The T model has tremolo and one tone knob. The R has no tremolo and a three-band e.q. I've had my T model since new in the '90's, and it is my main gigging amp. They were called class A by Ampeg, but I've heard several amp techs say that they are not class A at all.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-20-2011, 12:23 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'd be more likely to pull the trigger on a nice clean 100w tube bass head, with my orange juicer in front it's classic Steely Dan guitar tones all day.
            2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

You'd spend your $600 bucks better on a good condition, used '60s Ampeg. The Jets, Geminis, Mercurys, and Reverberockets all go for between 500 and a grand or so.
              Last edited by guitfiddle; 12-20-2011, 09:21 PM.
              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

They look cool, the clips I've seen sound alright but for the prices of new amps you could get old school handwired built in the USA Ampegs...
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  They look cool, the clips I've seen sound alright but for the prices of new amps you could get old school handwired built in the USA Ampegs...
                  As usual in the post V-series world, Ampeg's own used market competes heavily with it's new amps.
                  Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    As usual in the post V-series world, Ampeg's own used market competes heavily with it's new amps.
                    ...and wins, if the tone is all that matters.
                    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I had an old '65 Ampeg Gemini that I foolishly got rid of in the early 70's.

Recently, I was amp shopping for a 1 X 12" amp and stumbled across a slightly used 50W Ampeg Reverberocket Reissue. Excellent cleans, nice reverb and great overdrive. A little larger and heavier than I was looking for, but it just sounded so good. Took it home for $375 and threw some wheels on it.

Last edited by Dangerine49; 12-21-2011, 03:30 PM.

'65 Fender Mustang: 5-2 (n), Fralin SP-43 (b)
                      '98 Fender MIA Deluxe Strat: stock VN's
                      '01 Fender MIM Std. Strat: Kinman Traditionals set
                      '04 Fender MIA Telecaster: stock neck/Dimarzio Pre B1 bridge
                      '06 Fender MIA 57AVRI Strat: stock 57/62's
                      '08 Fender MIM '69 Thinline Tele: Fender VN's

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerine49 View Post
                        I had an old '65 Ampeg Gemini that I foolishly got rid of in the early 70's.

Recently, I was amp shopping for a 1 X 12" amp and stumbled across a slightly used 50W Ampeg Reverberocket Reissue. Excellent cleans, nice reverb and great overdrive. A little larger and heavier than I was looking for, but it just sounded so good. Took it home for $375 and threw some wheels on it.

Nice amp. I have the head/cab version. When I use it, I miss the tremolo of my Jet II, though. And it has a little too much headroom for my gigs. Doesn't really break up until about 7 or 8, at which point it is just too loud for most PAs.

I've also got the Super Rocket, which is just stupidly overpowered. It solves the tremolo problem, but by the time you get a dirty tone on that amp, people are leaving the room because their ears are bleeding. I use it when clean is the word.
                        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I haven't gigged with it yet, so I'm not sure about the headroom issue. It also takes pedals well for lower volume overdrive.

Yes, I like tremolo too, but I have a Voodoo Labs tremolo pedal that I bought for an acoustic amp that didn't come with it either. It does the job.
                          Last edited by Dangerine49; 12-21-2011, 09:06 PM.

'65 Fender Mustang: 5-2 (n), Fralin SP-43 (b)
                          '98 Fender MIA Deluxe Strat: stock VN's
                          '01 Fender MIM Std. Strat: Kinman Traditionals set
                          '04 Fender MIA Telecaster: stock neck/Dimarzio Pre B1 bridge
                          '06 Fender MIA 57AVRI Strat: stock 57/62's
                          '08 Fender MIM '69 Thinline Tele: Fender VN's

Comment

Working...
                          X