NTD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTD!

The postman brought me some new tubes for my AC15! A day later than estimated shipping but I can forgive...

I went with a full retube.

Poweramp tubes - Matched pair Sovtek EL84. I chose a Late Distortion option to try and maximize headroom.

Preamp tubes -
    V1 - Ruby HG+
    V2 - PentaLab
    V3 - JJ ECC803S

I'm on my lunch break so other than installing them I've only turned the amp on and strummed a few chords.

I do notice an immediate difference. I'm not as good at describing tones as some forum bros but I will try and do it later on once I have had the chance to run through it.
    Also the Tremolo seems more pronounced. Maybe it is just me. Because to my understanding the tubes don't effect reverb or tremolo on this unit.

Now that my old hum has been fixed I realize how noisy the reverb is on this amp. I may be replacing it at some point down the road it looks like.

The big plus is that the hum and squeals are gone.

I ordered the from Dougstubes.com I would highly recommend buying tubes from him. Especially if you are uncertain of what you need or want. He has some great advice.

Full review after work!
    Last edited by beggar_guitar; 12-20-2011, 01:35 PM.
    Myspace,GoodbyeJune Myspace

Re: NTD!

I put in some time with the new tubes tonight.

I will admit that I was skeptical of how much new tubes would affect my overall tone. Well that skepticism is now gone.

First off... I went for the most headroom possible with these new tubes and they deliver. They don't break up near as quickly as the stock tubes. Which is exactly what I was hoping for. I get my dirt from a fulldrive, mxr classic dist. and a crunchbox.
    I can get some nice loud cleans and let my pedals do all the work. Haven't used it with my FD yet because it is out on loan to a friend til Thurs.

My tone seems tighter now. Not squashed... it just holds together very well. In my experience this isn't a bass heavy amp but that lower end is certainly tightened up. Not quite as flubby as it was before.

Overall it is Brighter... I've had to dial back my settings some.

Anyway... for AC15 users I highly recommend a retube. It does a world of good for this already great amp.

I can't record any clips or I would try and show what this puppy can do.
    Myspace,GoodbyeJune Myspace

Comment

Re: NTD!

Sounds cool, thanks for the advice. One day I'll be needing to change mine out and may want to go a similar route
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
      X