SEMI-TECH QUESTION ABOUT POWER BRICKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEMI-TECH QUESTION ABOUT POWER BRICKS

I know there's another thread about the best pedal power block, but since I'm currently GASing for one, I need to know some specific info about them.

I'm currently looking at:

Voodoo Lab PP2,
    BBE Supa Charger,
    Dunlop DC Brick,
    Gator G Bus-8, and
    T-Rex Fuel Tank.

The first two say they are isolated, regulated, filtered and have toroidal transformers. I assume all of them have filtered, regulated, and isolated outputs, but do the last three have toroidal transformers like the first two? Are toroidal trannies noticably better? I know that they are lighter, run cooler, are more efficient, and have less hum and certainly that would be best, but does it make a significant difference in this application (powering a pedalboard)?

So, what I want to know is...
    1. Do the Dunlop, Gator, or T-Rex have toroidal trannies?
    2. Does it even matter in a practical sense?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Re: SEMI-TECH QUESTION ABOUT POWER BRICKS

i have a dunlop. i have no idea about toroidal or even what that means, but it defnitely runs cool and reliable. I can stand on it too if i need to! lol

I think the main difference between that and the voodooo is the isolated outputs....but i dont get any hum or anything anyway and im running pedals of various voltages simultaneously.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I think if I'm gonna spend some $$$, I ought to at least get isolated outputs so I don't get hum from a single stomp affecting others. Just makes sense to me.

Comment

I've had a PP2+ (it was stolen.) I know have a power brick.

I'd take another PP2 anyday... and when funds are available I will get one.

It is much more quiet. It powers a greater range of pedals. And the sag feature is cool.

The PowerBrick gets points for having 3 outputs that run at 18v though.
        Myspace,GoodbyeJune Myspace

Comment

The DC Brick is NOT isolated, is not filtered, is not regulated and does NOT have a high quality toroidal transformer...the DC Brick is more or less a daisy chain in a box...not saying that's a bad thing but it's a far cry from something like the Pedal Power II+

The T-Rex stuff is isolated...not sure if it has the toroidal transformer but it is a quality piece IMHO on par with the Voodoo lab stuff.

The BBE is isolated, filtered, regulated and has the toroidal transformer.

The G-Buss is like the DC Brick...a Daisy Chain in a box.

The toroidal transformer is not something I'd base the entire purchase on...the isolated, regulated and filtered part is MUCH more important IMO...the toroidal transformer just keeps it small, cool and light weight.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Hey, thanks so much for that great info.

So it seems like the PP2 and BBE are the best for the buck...the T-Rex is the most expensive at $200. The PP2 with the SAG feature sounds pretty cool. I wonder if I would actually use it though. Guess I'd have to try it and see?

The BBE outputs can be switched to either 9 volt or 12 volt. None of my pedals are 12v, is this a useful feature? Are there pedals that use 12v? Can 9v pedals use 12v without hurting them? Does it give them extra oomph or body? Otherwise, what's the point in having 12v outs?

Comment

1. Save yourself the headache. Just get the PP2.

2. Don't bother with the Dunlop Brick. As said, its just a daisy chain with a box. Might as well use the jumper cable dealie.

3. 12v is intended to be used with 12v effects. I think Line6 and some EHX pedals are 12vv. Don't use the 12v for 9v effects. I have the feeling that will screw something up. I highly doubt you'd get 'higher' performance.

4. I've never used the sag option with my PP2. Never even tried. Maybe I'm missing something? I'm guessing only certain effects would benefit from the sag option. I'll let others chime in on what effects 'improve' when using the sag option.
              If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
              DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by lex666 View Post
                4. I've never used the sag option with my PP2. Never even tried. Maybe I'm missing something? I'm guessing only certain effects would benefit from the sag option. I'll let others chime in on what effects 'improve' when using the sag option.
                My Fulldrive sounded very nice with the sag option. It tries to hit that magical point right before a battery dies.

I've heard that certain analog effects have some interesting characteristics at that point. Older fuzz boxes and such.
                Myspace,GoodbyeJune Myspace

Comment

Thanks Lex. It looks like the PP2 is the way I'll go. Plus all the online stores are offering 15% off right now.

Beggar...I would expect the SAG feature would work best with OD type pedals, but I'll just have to try it and see.

Thanks all for your advice and opinions. I appreciate it.

Ya gotta love this forum.

Comment

Great thread; all you need to know in less than 10 posts!
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The way I see it, it always comes down to BBE vs PP2. BBE is cheaper but very big and won't fit under some pedal boards. PP2 is more expensive. I went with BBE because I found one brand new for $90, which is insanely cheap.

Comment

You can use the 12v for old boss pedals that needed an ACA too.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                          You can use the 12v for old boss pedals that needed an ACA too.

The PP2 has an option for 9v Boss ACA pedals.
                          If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                          DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Working...
                          X