Let's talk about the RAt family of pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about the RAt family of pedals

Feeling the need for a new Distortion box. No particular reason.

Thinking about perhaps a Rat of some sort. I remember the original from back in the day, but there are many more versions now. What is each one about, what are the pro's/con's of each

Please - no "Only the original vintage is worth even knowing about" It's a dirt box, they all have their own flavor...Feel free to give opinions, but try to keep them objective.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Let's talk about the RAt family of pedals

monte allums has a rat style diy right?
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

GAS bro, why did you bring up this rat issue!!!!???
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Rats are ****ing awesome. Here's a thread I started a while ago when I was wondering about them myself. There's some great info in there. I ended up going for the You Dirty Rat and I immediately fell in love with it. Here's a review I wrote when I got it. I couldn't be bothered rereading it, but I'm pretty sure my opinions of it haven't changed since.

I also just got an old USA Rat from Andrew Lamprecht yesterday. My original plan was to pick either it or the YDR and sell the other, but they're such different and awesome sounding pedals that I'll probably keep both. My initial thoughts would be that the YDR is warmer, fatter, thicker and darker than the regular Rat. A little more compressed, too. It's less versatile, though. The regular one sounds great, from low gain to high, while the YDR really excells at thick, hard rock kinda gain. Neither of them are polite. They both roar but I find the YDR to sound a lot more throaty, while the regular one is a little more of a screamer and sounds a little more pissed off.

To be honest, I haven't spent a lot of time with the old one yet. I'll add more thoughts when I've played it more and also when I'm sober. Or maybe not. Whatever.

I should really borrow a mic or something and record a decent comparison.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I have the RatII I got for $70. I think it is very quality in terms of build and sound, and use it for recording and with my thunderverb 50

Comment

I'm not really a tone snob - but look for a boutique clone... really. Never tried the original, but the new Turbo Rat I owned colored the tone too much, don't know if you know what I mean but there's really not enough resonance coming from the guitar through this pedal. I've compared it with a few other dirt boxes, they all were better in this sense.

It sounded alright with humbuckers and sucked with the Strat. Also - very sensitive when it comes to amps.

That's my experience, good luck.

Comment

look no futher.
              Cheaper and better than the whiteface reissue.
              Last edited by Chickenwings; 12-25-2011, 08:18 PM.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post

look no futher.
                  Cheaper and better than the whiteface reissue.
                  I will say this...I recently got my first Hartman pedal...Theo does AMAZING work, his built quality is past top notch and the parts quality is second to none!

If you decide to go with the old school Rat I'm sure the Hartman LM308 is the real deal!
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Only the original vintage is worth even knowing about.
                    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

what pedal was it tgwif?
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                        what pedal was it tgwif?
                        Comp, irrc.
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I'll start a thread about it as to not muck up Ace's Rat thread....

But TO is right is is the Comp

Comment

Excellent posts christian.

Hartman, eh?
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              Excellent posts christian.

Hartman, eh?
                              I had never really tried a Hartman pedal until a few weeks ago and I got hands on a Hartman comp.

Amazing build quality, lots of nice quality new and NOS parts, lots of handwork and care go into his pedals and while looking into the Hartman comp I emailed Theo Hartman a few times...always got back quick, friendly and great replies for all my questions!

Based on my recent Hartman experience I will suggest Hartman stuff ANYTIME!

In fact I see myself owning some more Hartman stuff in the future!

Comment

Working...
                              X