using an AMP with the speeker unpluged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using an AMP with the speeker unpluged

I have several amps but I need a small amp to use in Church, But s you know the sound comming from the speaker is louder than the line out, & it takes a bit od setting up to get the sound correct, I want to be able to set up the amp in and hook up the line out and set my own volume like I normaly do with my accoustic guitar.

All that aside, What I need to know is if I use my Crate amp with the line out & unhook my speaker will that hurt my speaker transformer ?
    OR Secondly if I put a volume control on my speaker in order to turn the volume down, Will that cause an OHM problem. Do any of you have a suggstion?
    Thank you
    Dan

Re: using an AMP with the speeker unpluged

welcome to the forum!

is your amp a solid state amp? if it is then you can safely unplug the speaker.

if you have a tube amp you CANNOT safely unplug the speaker

Comment

As Jeremy said, not safe for tube amps.

Putting a potentiometer into the power path is not safe for either.

If your amp has a line out surely there is some kind of master volume that is after the line out but before the power amp? With questions like this its very helpful to say what amp you have.

Comment

Some amps (not many but it is becoming more common) have a switched load when u plug into the line out without a speaker plugged in. That said most amps dont and you will blow your transformer. Another option is an attuenuator which wont damage the amp if used correctly (may shorten life of if you start cranking the amp when you didnt before).
        Gondola Kid
        Bandcamp
        Facebook
        JimijaymesGuitarist
        Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          welcome to the forum!

is your amp a solid state amp? if it is then you can safely unplug the speaker.

if you have a tube amp you CANNOT safely unplug the speaker
          ==============

Respectfully differ here . Solid state x-sistors fry like potatos , they will not take the load well and you will burn em out .

To remedy this situation is get a ceramic [ Load Resistor ] that is equal to the out put of the amp in question . In other words if your amp is a 25 watt solid state get a 25 to 30 watt ceramic resistor and wire it as if it was a speaker .

Now tube amps - -

Since the nature of a tube is to get hot a tube amp with out a load on it's amp's output will be much more forgiving .

I don't recommend it but if you did it [ don't do it for a long time ] and if you have to get the same type " LOAD resistor " as I mentioned for the SS amp .

I worked 7 years in service and repair of audio equipment , all types from super home sound systems to big @$$ sound re enforcement stuff as well . I am sure of what I just laid down .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon
          It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

If it is a tube amp look into getting an attenuator where you can shut off the speaker.
            Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
            Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
            I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
            Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
            Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
            Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
            Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
            Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

I don't understand, I guess, why you have to disconnect the speaker entirely, but okay. I wouldn't do this at all. If you need to have a system where you can just plug in a send, invest in a P.O.D.
              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by electricbanjoman View Post
                I have several amps but I need a small amp to use in Church, But s you know the sound comming from the speaker is louder than the line out, & it takes a bit od setting up to get the sound correct, I want to be able to set up the amp in and hook up the line out and set my own volume like I normaly do with my accoustic guitar.
                Dan
                Why not just plug your guitar into the PA?? You may need a loudbox or something to boost the signal, but you should be able to get the sound loud enough by running through the PA.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Thank you all, First let me explaine,
                  The Amp I want to use is a 20 watt Crate solid state amp, It has a line out but there`s NO volume for the out put of the line out & I`ve noticed while trying to record line out to the recorder the the amp is much louder than the line out is going to the recorder as it would probably going out to the Church PA. which means it would be louder than the monitor facing me & the quire, wich is the reason for unplugging the speaker is to not have the guitar blasting into the quire,
                  I don`t want interfear with the vocals of the quire. however I do want to use asolid body electric guitar such as a Rickenbacker or Telecaster & get the proper tone, I am now using an accoustic guitar with a pre -amp, whch works well with the PA, but their system has NO reveb, and when you play solid body guitar into a PA t kills the sound especially if the PA has no reverb.

I wanted to be able to get the tone I want along with reverb on a solid body guitar. It doesn`t need to be loud , just enough. I think maybeI`ll need to get the type chip & wire it the the speaker wire as was described.
                  Are there any other suggestions?
                  Thank you all so very much !!
                  Dan

Comment

Why not tilt the amp back and point it at your head, and then put a microphone in front of it. Also, if possible, ditch the Crate amp. They're terrible.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                    Originally posted by Securb
                    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by electricbanjoman View Post
                      Thank you all, First let me explaine,
                      The Amp I want to use is a 20 watt Crate solid state amp, It has a line out but there`s NO volume for the out put of the line out & I`ve noticed while trying to record line out to the recorder the the amp is much louder than the line out is going to the recorder as it would probably going out to the Church PA. which means it would be louder than the monitor facing me & the quire, wich is the reason for unplugging the speaker is to not have the guitar blasting into the quire,
                      I don`t want interfear with the vocals of the quire. however I do want to use asolid body electric guitar such as a Rickenbacker or Telecaster & get the proper tone, I am now using an accoustic guitar with a pre -amp, whch works well with the PA, but their system has NO reveb, and when you play solid body guitar into a PA t kills the sound especially if the PA has no reverb.

I wanted to be able to get the tone I want along with reverb on a solid body guitar. It doesn`t need to be loud , just enough. I think maybeI`ll need to get the type chip & wire it the the speaker wire as was described.
                      Are there any other suggestions?
                      Thank you all so very much !!
                      Dan
                      ==============================================

O . K . then , get a cheap little stereo or mono pre amp to get in between the line out and the P . A / input .

There are all kinds out there in the $20.00 to $30.00 range on the net .

Easy man :

Hurricane Ramon
                      It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

Working...
                      X