64 Bassman Head Seeking Cab...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Bassman Head Seeking Cab...

I've got 64 Bassman Head I'd like to start using in a cover band...looking for a 2x12 & speakers that compliments the head for rock...any suggestions? Greenbacks, V30s, etc?

Re: 64 Bassman Head Seeking Cab...

Blackface Fender head...it's gonna be real hard to beat either to Weber 12F150T or a pair of Vintage 30s.

If you couldn't get an original Fender cab I'd order a repro from JD Newell.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Marshall 8x10 would rock with that head, also.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        Marshall 8x10 would rock with that head, also.
        Yeah but it'd be a ***** to move!

I love those old 8x10's...such a killer crunch sound in a full band setting!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Weber Californias are awesome in a twin...im sure they would be awesome with a bassman too.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

+1 on V30's. I've got a Blackfaced Bassman with two V30's in the original cab. Love it.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I like my V30/G12H30's with my 69 Bassman, although I wouldn't say I'm a hard rock player either.
              MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
              MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
              MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
              69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
              Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
              Martin D28

Comment

In 1964 the original Bassman cabinets were equipped with Jensen C12N, Oxford 12T6 or Utah ceramic depending on what was in inventory when Fender was assembling them. These are all pretty good speakers, but it does depend on what you are after. Many people feel that putting a Celestion speaker in a BF Fender will suck a lot of the "Fender" out of it. I for one am not. I have a Deluxe Reverb that I put a British made V30 in & it absolutely cured most of the headroom issues I had with the amp. The Bassman is 40Watts so comparing what would work with a Twin doesen't really make sense. The Twin is 85 to 100W and it has an enormous amount of headroom. The Bassman breaks up a lot earlier. and can drive the right speakers well. If you choose to go with Celestion consider the Greenbacks. They breakup early but have a very tight response. If you want even a tighter response you could go with 4 10" speakers. Kind of like a Super.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Greenbacks are cool in fact they are my fav 12 inch speaker period but a Bassman will overpower 2 Greenbacks plus using a Bassman for a rock cover band I'm guessing he'll be using a lot of pedals and V30's will take to that better for most players than Greenbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                    Greenbacks are cool in fact they are my fav 12 inch speaker period but a Bassman will overpower 2 Greenbacks plus using a Bassman for a rock cover band I'm guessing he'll be using a lot of pedals and V30's will take to that better for most players than Greenbacks.
                    greenback sound/eq with more headroom or power?

these are awesome...i currently have a 75 watt version in a fender amp, and it also slays the celestion in my marshall. Lorantz makes these in 30, 50 and 75 watt versions.
                    They are not 'clones', but the frequency response curve matches the greenback (at least the 30w version does). Instead of being perfect copies, he uses hemp/paper fibre cones and modern parts where reliability is an issue. The spec sheets have all the info in there.
                    The 30w version is the closest in sound to a greenback, and the speakers get progressively darker and thicker for the 50 and 75 watt versions.
                    Expensive i guess, but i have tried both the 10s and the 12s with four different amps and they have been big improvements in all. In a perfect world id probably just use Lorantz for all my amps.
                    You can also call Lorantz direct if you follow the contact links from the Lorantz website and ask the speaker builder what you want to know.
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-02-2012, 07:27 AM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

If I wanted a high power Greenback I'd go Weber...nobody's gonna nail it but the Webers are very close despite being 65 or 100 watts but that hemp cone...I don't see at all how anybody can get paper cone tone with a hemp cone...

I won't say it can't be done but I just can't see how they'd do it...

Comment

If you want a high powered "greenback", then Scumback is he only real choice.
                        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                          If you want a high powered "greenback", then Scumback is he only real choice.
                          You really dig those Scumbacks huh?

Tried any of the new ones yet?

Comment

The Greenbacks are rated at 25W. Two of them would handle 50W. The Bassman is rated at 40W. You should be OK, but you could go with a classic G12 which is rated at 60W. The G12 is made in a couple of configurations. 30W, 60W & 100W. Personally I would go with either the 25W Greenback(my favorite of all of them) or the G12H 30W. There are really similar in tone & response.
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                              The Greenbacks are rated at 25W. Two of them would handle 50W. The Bassman is rated at 40W. You should be OK, but you could go with a classic G12 which is rated at 60W. The G12 is made in a couple of configurations. 30W, 60W & 100W. Personally I would go with either the 25W Greenback(my favorite of all of them) or the G12H 30W. There are really similar in tone & response.
                              We can split hairs on wattages and ratings all day...a Bassman can easily pop a pair of 50 watt speakers...2 Greenbacks, no worries!

I understand what you are saying...I push my speakers too...I run a late 60's G12 Alnico (20 watt) in an early 60's Deluxe (20 watts) but I won't suggest it to other people.

Comment

Working...
                              X