NAD: Mesa Mark V head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAD: Mesa Mark V head

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

nice

Comment

I just got back from Coloured Animal rehearsal. The Mark V is definitely a keeper

The most telling moment was after we played "604" (available on iTunes, Amazon, and anywhere fine MP3's are sold ). I had the following conversation with Kev, the singer:

K: "You did a lot of cool stuff in there!"
        M: "I ... I just played what I've always played, same as every other time we've done this song."
        K: "Well that's the first time I've actually heard any of it."

I sat better in the mix on all three channels (the other guitarist has an Electra Dyne FYI) without being louder or piercing. The guys told me that the Stiletto had a high mid bump that was a bit piercing at times, and in comparison the MkV is very balanced and round. The mix really opened up, and my parts stood out nicely without the need for blaring volume.

It tracks magnificently at any gain level. Fast, low riffing came through like a cannonball and leads sounded fat and present. Everyone was very happy with how I was sounding, and I think the band played stronger as a result. The accuracy of this amp definitely forced me to play a lot better, since every single note I was hitting was coming through strong.

I landed on the 2C+ mode for channel 3. The rich, chewy harmonics work really nicely for my style, and I got great tones with and without the EQ. I leave the EQ off for a thick, chunky lead tone, and turn the EQ on for a heavy scoop.

It was a great day. Any doubts I had about the suitability of this amp are long gone, and the Stiletto's going up for sale with minimal regret (I'm going to offer it to the other guitarists I know before I throw it up on CL).
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
          I just got back from Coloured Animal rehearsal. The Mark V is definitely a keeper

The most telling moment was after we played "604" (available on iTunes, Amazon, and anywhere fine MP3's are sold ). I had the following conversation with Kev, the singer:

K: "You did a lot of cool stuff in there!"
          M: "I ... I just played what I've always played, same as every other time we've done this song."
          K: "Well that's the first time I've actually heard any of it."

I sat better in the mix on all three channels (the other guitarist has an Electra Dyne FYI) without being louder or piercing. The guys told me that the Stiletto had a high mid bump that was a bit piercing at times, and in comparison the MkV is very balanced and round. The mix really opened up, and my parts stood out nicely without the need for blaring volume.

It tracks magnificently at any gain level. Fast, low riffing came through like a cannonball and leads sounded fat and present. Everyone was very happy with how I was sounding, and I think the band played stronger as a result. The accuracy of this amp definitely forced me to play a lot better, since every single note I was hitting was coming through strong.

I landed on the 2C+ mode for channel 3. The rich, chewy harmonics work really nicely for my style, and I got great tones with and without the EQ. I leave the EQ off for a thick, chunky lead tone, and turn the EQ on for a heavy scoop.

It was a great day. Any doubts I had about the suitability of this amp are long gone, and the Stiletto's going up for sale with minimal regret (I'm going to offer it to the other guitarists I know before I throw it up on CL).
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

There's nothing better than having your buying decision affirmed. I'm glad to hear that it met with everyone else's approval, too. To live up to your responsibilities as the guitarist, you do need to melt their faces with its sheer volume at least once. Your amp needs to mark (npi) its new territory.
            Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Working...
            X