Pot/Switch/Resistor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot/Switch/Resistor question

Say if I had a circuit, and there was a particular resistor I wanted to try different values in place of it.
    For instance, the stock value was 4.7k.
    I want to use a switch to change that value to 2.4k and 1k.

Would I be able to put all 3 resistors on a DPDT switch and have wires coming from the circuit board?

OR

Would I have to keep the stock value at 4.7k and try and put other resistors on the switch in parallel to knock it down to 2.4k and 1k?

Would I need to use an on/on/on switch or an on/off/on switch?

My other question is this:
    If I have a 500k pot, and I add a 500k resistor in series on a switch that will modify the pot to 1M, would this then only function from 500k to 1M, as opposed to the 0 to 500K straight from the pot?

Would using a 1M pot and a 1M resistor in parallel be a better way of achieving this? In this case, the resistor would make the pot work as a 500k pot, put if I removed the resistor, it would return to a normal 1M pot.

Re: Pot/Switch/Resistor question

Originally posted by Warheart View Post
    Say if I had a circuit, and there was a particular resistor I wanted to try different values in place of it.
    For instance, the stock value was 4.7k.
    I want to use a switch to change that value to 2.4k and 1k.

Would I be able to put all 3 resistors on a DPDT switch and have wires coming from the circuit board?

OR

Would I have to keep the stock value at 4.7k and try and put other resistors on the switch in parallel to knock it down to 2.4k and 1k?

My other question is this:
    If I have a 500k pot, and I add a 500k resistor in series on a switch that will modify the pot to 1M, would this then only function from 500k to 1M, as opposed to the 0 to 500K straight from the pot?

Would using a 1M pot and a 1M resistor in parallel be a better way of achieving this? In this case, the resistor would make the pot work as a 500k pot, put if I removed the resistor, it would return to a normal 1M pot.
    Give Artietoo a pm....Master of all things guitar electronic! ;o)
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Warheart View Post
      Yes.

On-on-on.
      MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
      Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Excellent, Thanks guys!

Comment

Get a 5 or 6 position rotary switch and have 5 or 6 resistors to test. This is the idea behind the Varitone when used as a tone pot.

I wouldn't wire any of your ideas permanent. Try those combinations and see what you like then put in the appropriate pot.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X