Why you don't like effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why you don't like effects?

I'm a minimalist with a minimalist's pedalboard. Crybaby, Overdrive, Tuner. The only other 3 items on my board are wireless receiver, amp footswitch and the HBE Detox EQ that I use either in favor of rolling down the guitar volume on the dirt setting or in conjunction with. Depends on what I want.

It's not that I don't like effects. Some I love, but I don't want to be tied down to my pedalboard and have to tap dance all night.

Comment

That's exactly what I think too.
      I love effects, but I hate the hassle and I particularly hate tap dancing too much while gigging.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Lately I've been debating about going even simpler. Just the wireless receiver, Crybaby, tuner and amp footswitch.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          Lately I've been debating about going even simpler. Just the wireless receiver, Crybaby, tuner and amp footswitch.
          Yeah - take the guitar and amp out of the pic, and things get real easy...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don´t dislike effects at all in fact I love them, but I think it´s very important that they don´t get out of hand...and the best way to ensure that is to get used to playing directly into the amp.

The two advantages that affords me are that 1) it forces me to work a little harder as I don´t have effects covering up my mistakes - playing acoustic gives a similar result, 2) it allows me to better appreciate when and how a subtle touch of an effect adds to something I´m playing.

I don´t have many effects pedals, but I used to go with them all the time and ended up feeling like there was something missing when the effects weren´t on, or if I was playing a cover and didn´t have all the effects from the original it was like it couldn´t be done. Now it´s the opposite, I really notice how it adds to the sound and feel that I can play pretty much anything I need to, with just guitar and amp.

Last but not least I consider the amp's tone the best effect of all

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Yeah - take the guitar and amp out of the pic, and things get real easy...
              Smartass.

Comment

And just a few hours after writing my answer, I got two clips of my latest gig.
                My tone's good but it's sounding as dry as a bone. ****.

Guess I'll have to build a pedalboard real soon.

Comment

I like running small amounts of different things. A light amount of reverb, and a short delay that tails yer notes keeps things moist without soaking the audience with digital juices.
                  2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

The only problem I have is I feel the need to use them in songs instead of letting the song dictate what it needs. I've gotten away from that over the years. "Hey I got a vibe pedal now!!!! I need to write a song that uses it!!!!"

Hell, I have 3 wah pedals and I barely use the damn things.

A tuner, a couple OD's, and a delay or two are the only pedals that get a regular workout in my setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                      And just a few hours after writing my answer, I got two clips of my latest gig.
                      My tone's good but it's sounding as dry as a bone. ****.

Guess I'll have to build a pedalboard real soon.
                      If you have reverb in your amp, use some. That'll take care of that. Dry can be good in a live situation.

Comment

I tried small stone phaser and it was too much

Comment

Effects?

I love effects.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            If you have reverb in your amp, use some. That'll take care of that. Dry can be good in a live situation.
                            I had reverb on, and I was still lacking some sustain and length in some fills and arrangements.
                            I agree it's way better to be bone dry than buried in pointless effects.
                            But still, it's time to start using my Memory Toy a bit more...

I've also come to love the way a subtle phaser/flanger sounds in FRONT of the amp, not the loop.
                            It adds an amazing liquid, unpredictable texture instead of that cheesy plastic hi-end.

Gonna need one as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                              I've also come to love the way a subtle phaser/flanger sounds in FRONT of the amp, not the loop.
                              It adds an amazing liquid, unpredictable texture instead of that cheesy plastic hi-end.
                              That's what I love about phaser. It's my only effect in front. The 'other' effects are in the loop.

Comment

It's not that I dislike effects, but I have had little use for them over the years for the styles of music I play, and this includes gigging. Even when not in a band, I do everything with gigging in mind.

However, I have tried most basic effects at one time or another. A few made it into the live set up. A delay, for a gig, a phaser, a compressor, and an EQ for quite a number of gigs. I just decided they weren't helping, so out they went.

That said, I'm considering a small pedalboard. I did some playing with a singer-songwriter sort about six years ago, and since then I've been taking notice of sidemen for this genre, and their tasteful use of effects. I'm very interested in having this sort of gig as an option.

Comment

Working...
                                X