Removed the JJs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed the JJs...

...in the preamp of my Tweed Twin and replaced with some groove tubes I had lying around (12AX7s) and it sounds like a blanket was lifted off of my amp. It's crazy how one's tastes change.

I might go with some Tung Sol reissues for the preamp section now. Another gear decision to make before I go back to school....
    - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
    - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
    - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
    - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
    - Tungsten Buckwheat
    - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
    - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
    - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Re: Removed the JJs...

really? so you prefer the groove tubes? i always kinda wondered why JJ's were so cheap in comparison to other tubes but everyone loves them and they were certainly an improvement from Sovtek for me

Comment

It really seems to depend on the amp. My experience with JJ's is that they darken an amp's tone. They sounded great when I put them in a Deville. Yet I hated them in my 73 Champ.
      -
      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

i like jjs in some amps and tung sols in others. Just interested tho.....how long have the jjs been in the Twin? Despite popular myth, preamp tubes get old the same way power tubes do - especially Phase inverter tubes.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

there is a variety of groove tubes 12ax7, they dont make anything just test and relabel.

the jj is a good tube but isnt very bright.

tubes in the preamp i usually only change for tonal reasons. when i change power tubes i pull all the tubes in that amp and put them on the tube tester. even after hundreds of hours of full throttle use the preamp tubes havent really tested much different. the pi on the other hand gets beat up. i change my pi every other power tube change.

sovtek makes some good tubes, the 12ax7lps for example, but their 12ax7wa and 12ax7wb are usually not very good sounding. they are usually pretty rugged and take abuse well, they just dont sound all that great

Comment

Originally posted by bigmack209 View Post
            really? so you prefer the groove tubes? i always kinda wondered why JJ's were so cheap in comparison to other tubes but everyone loves them and they were certainly an improvement from Sovtek for me
            Yeah I bought the JJ's to get a darker tone out of the amp a few years ago. Put Grooves in and they happen to work better for that amp for me at this time - so many variables

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
            It really seems to depend on the amp. My experience with JJ's is that they darken an amp's tone. They sounded great when I put them in a Deville. Yet I hated them in my 73 Champ.
            I've read that people really dig them in Marshalls and such. Fenders not as much.

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            i like jjs in some amps and tung sols in others. Just interested tho.....how long have the jjs been in the Twin? Despite popular myth, preamp tubes get old the same way power tubes do - especially Phase inverter tubes.
            It's interesting. The JJs were in there for a couple of years, but the Grooves I replaced them with were the stock tubes that came with the amp! So they were probably in there for a couple of years also. About the same time.

My rig is really warm to begin with (I play with my fingers, use pure nickel strings and usually roll off my guitar knobs a little bit) so the added brightness is welcomed

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            there is a variety of groove tubes 12ax7, they dont make anything just test and relabel.

the jj is a good tube but isnt very bright.

tubes in the preamp i usually only change for tonal reasons. when i change power tubes i pull all the tubes in that amp and put them on the tube tester. even after hundreds of hours of full throttle use the preamp tubes havent really tested much different. the pi on the other hand gets beat up. i change my pi every other power tube change.

sovtek makes some good tubes, the 12ax7lps for example, but their 12ax7wa and 12ax7wb are usually not very good sounding. they are usually pretty rugged and take abuse well, they just dont sound all that great
            I had a few other tubes in the amp back in the day (besides the JJs and Grooves). Tung sols were one of them. I got Svetlana power tubes in there at the moment (my amp tech uses them for reliability and likes them best) and the stock EH rectifiers. I'll have to experiment more with the pres. I think I'll stay 12AX7 though and not go to the original 12AY7s that would have been in the amp in the 50s.
            - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
            - Tungsten Buckwheat
            - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

ive run my tweeds both ways and the 12ay7 does have some cool things going on. it doesnt break up as much with the ay but seems to have a smoother tone

Comment

For preamp tubes, I like philips 5751's for cleans, RCA blackplate 12ax7's (I have a few, but no amps to put them in =( ), or those higher gain mullard copies by groove tubes. They really seem to bring the sound to life, albeit with a bit more breakup and loss of headroom, but the definition is great on those, I used to love them thru my DRRI.

My dad got JJ's before, I think the ECC803S, I tried them in my DRRI and remember liking the long plate. Also the Sovtek LPS are nice.
                2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I like JJ power Tubes but really do not like the pre amp tubes. They work very well in the PI and can tame a bright reverb but otherwise they suck the life out of every amp I have dropped them into. Instantly the tone is dull dark and lifeless. It's not just dark on the tone but the harmonics go also. It's like you drop a blanket over the rig.
                  I in new production run Tungsol, the Shunghangs or the Mullard reissues mostly. I also like the EH's a lot if the amp lacks chime but they have a high mid spike that can be annoying.
                  I have a lot of NOS stuff so normally my amps are running a NOS of some kind in V-1 with Tung Sols or Shunghangs in the rest.
                  My 2501 Marshall JCM 900 Dual Master for example has a Baldwin labeled NOS Sylvania in V-1 with a Shunghang in V-2 and a balanced EH in the V-3 PI slot.
                  My Zinky is all Tungsol.
                  Last edited by Ascension; 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I swapped some tubes in my mesa, but let me tell you that at gig levels with other instruments in the band, you cannot hear different tube brand nuances.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                      I swapped some tubes in my mesa, but let me tell you that at gig levels with other instruments in the band, you cannot hear different tube brand nuances.
                      That's why I don't buy NOS anymore. I don't trust the reliability and it's splitting hairs tonewise from my experience with em. I'd rather get some new production that I dig enough and not worry about em. I got Mesa Boogie-labelled 6V6s in my Princeton Reverb clone for crying out loud hehe
                      - Tungsten Buckwheat
                      - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        ive run my tweeds both ways and the 12ay7 does have some cool things going on. it doesnt break up as much with the ay but seems to have a smoother tone
                        The amp is clean enough for what I'm using it for ATM - it's hard enough to get the thing cranking in clubs with the right level of distortion. I really dig how this amp turns into a Marshall-with-more-lows-and-fatter-mids-sorta-sound with humbuckers when it's cranked up (well, Tweeds came before Marshalls....)

It's interesting: Headroom and amount of gain when the thing is dimed are two totally different things. Someone saying an amp is "cleaner" can mean a buncha different things!

Originally posted by Quencho092 View Post
                        For preamp tubes, I like philips 5751's for cleans, RCA blackplate 12ax7's (I have a few, but no amps to put them in =( ), or those higher gain mullard copies by groove tubes. They really seem to bring the sound to life, albeit with a bit more breakup and loss of headroom, but the definition is great on those, I used to love them thru my DRRI.

My dad got JJ's before, I think the ECC803S, I tried them in my DRRI and remember liking the long plate. Also the Sovtek LPS are nice.
                        I see tons of guys putting in 5751s in blackface amps to do the SRV thing but not really in Tweeds. Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone put them in Tweeds. I'll probably get a bunch of current production 12AX7s (if I can sell some pedals or some other stuff) and experiment with them. I only swapped out V1 and V2 as they affect the tone the most.

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                        I like JJ power Tubes but really do not like the pre amp tubes. They work very well in the PI and can tame a bright reverb but otherwise they suck the life out of every amp I have dropped them into. Instantly the tone is dull dark and lifeless. It's not just dark on the tone but the harmonics go also. It's like you drop a blanket over the rig.
                        I in new production run Tungsol, the Shunghangs or the Mullard reissues mostly. I also like the EH's a lot if the amp lacks chime but they have a high mid spike that can be annoying.
                        I have a lot of NOS stuff so normally my amps are running a NOS of some kind in V-1 with Tung Sols or Shunghangs in the rest.
                        My 2501 Marshall JCM 900 Dual Master for example has a Baldwin labeled NOS Sylvania in V-1 with a Shunghang in V-2 and a balanced EH in the V-3 PI slot.
                        My Zinky is all Tungsol.
                        Maybe an EH/Tung Sol combo. Tungs in V1 and V2 and EH in V3 and V4? idk if that'll make too much of a difference. I don't really tinker with this stuff all too much but I have time now that I'm on break so I'll figure it out and have some spares on the side.

I used to have some other Power Tubes in there - I think I had Winged Cs or Tung Sol reissues I really don't recall. Those were nice but since I got work done on the amp, the tech put in Svetlanas and fixed everything up a couple of years ago. Sounded really good after that. I'll just have to experiment with the pre amp stuff.
                        - Tungsten Buckwheat
                        - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                          Precisely. I've been arguing about this for a while, but I'm glad to see other people agree so I'm not just hearing things.
                          Originally posted by kevlar3000
                          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                          Originally posted by Zerberus
                          Better is often the enemy of good
                          Originally posted by ginormous
                          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

hmmm, i liked the jj's over the groove tubes after much comparison
                            i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

I popped in a Full set of JJ's in a Vibrolux Reverb. Found a bad 12AX7, but once that was sorted it sounded fine. Needs to idle slightly hotter, but I'll get that sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                              X