Amp Issues and Tube Slots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Issues and Tube Slots

I recently moved my peavey xxx 40efx combo amp into a head cabinet so I have this handy picture that I took for your reference. I actually have three questions.

1.) The reverb tank works, but if I crank it past noon I get a brutal high pitched whistle sound. Could I have ruined the tank when moving it around? Is it possibly a tube issue?

2.) the effects loop makes alot of buzz. When I remove the effects loop cables, no buzz. When I switch out the cables for other cables buzz is still there. When i try using different pedals in the loop, still buzzing. So it's not the cables, not the pedals, it must be the amp.

3.) Looking at this picture, can you help me identify the V1, V2, V3 and PI Pre-Amp tubes? I'd love to experiment with tubes, but I don't know which is which.

Thanks!

Re: Amp Issues and Tube Slots

Also, is there something in this picture that I should avoid touching so as not to kill myself?

Comment

Pics of the amp, just for fun

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
        Also, is there something in this picture that I should avoid touching so as not to kill myself?
        From what you can see there, so long as everything is as it was manufactured and no cables have been damaged along the way, the worst you should be able to do is burn yourself. That said, you shouldn't make a habit of tinkering in a live amp, and even when the power is off, you need to be able to assure yourself that all the caps have been discharged.

On the inside however, is a whole different ball game and you need to know what you are doing.
        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I was troubleshooting some more with the pedal board. Sometimes I can get the buzz to go away if I move the pedals in the loop (see hardwire pedals with silver cables) away from the Supa Charger power unit. I feel like the power unit and the effects return cable are causing the buzz, see how close they are to each other? I'm not totally convinced though. I moved some cables around, move the effects pedals away from the Supa Charger and still got buzz. The effect cables completely out is the only way to be totally buzz free at the moment.

Comment

glad the headshell came together for ya. looks really nice now!

Dunno about your first two questions, but I'm pretty sure this is the tube layout:

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
              glad the headshell came together for ya. looks really nice now!

Dunno about your first two questions, but I'm pretty sure this is the tube layout:
              Thanks! That is very helpful. Looking forward to getting some new tubes in there. I was going to start with the PI, which is also the easiest to get to.

Comment

Working...
              X