Non traditional forms. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non traditional forms. . .

Anyone here play non traditional forms of jazz? Not classic, not standards, not fusion, but something not normally on the radar.

What do you play and what is your gear?

Re: Non traditional forms. . .

I don't know if this counts (because it's been happening since 1959), but I play a lot of free jazz at Berklee. I think it's a really cool way of expression and it's really nice when everyone's listening and creating. Then it works really well (it falls over on itself otherwise). I'm into it a lot more than my contemporaries are hehe. I like playing it with my normal rig - 335 > Pedalboard > Tweed Amp or Princeton or with my straight-ahead rig - Campellone Archtop > Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Here are some of my teachers:
    Discover, share and connect with culture, creativity, sound, images and people.

Incredible musicians. Jon Irabagon really got me into jazz when I was in high school. He won the Monk competitio and a ton of other awards. Check him out. I'm grateful for everything he taught me!
    - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
    - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
    - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
    - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
    - Tungsten Buckwheat
    - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
    - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
    - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I will look for that music. I am working on developing a variation I call Swamp Jazz. . .jazz was born in New Orleans, not far from the swamps and bayous, so I am re-imagining the concept.

Comment

nice dude - cool concept. I'm thinking fuzzy sounding tweed amps with tremolo hehe. Grittier....

When I think New Orleans stuff, I think Louie Armstrong and anything hot that makes you wanna dance. And I think really gritty soul jazz for that stuff too. Sorta like bop meets detroit. Super catchy melodies too. Like this Benson Quartet stuff that's some of my favorite music:

More ideas...
        - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
        - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
        - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
        - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
        - Tungsten Buckwheat
        - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
        - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
        - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Louis Armstrong is the man! His gravelly voice, his incredible improvisations. . .I want to tap into some of that. . .but with woolly guitars, a B3 and heavy on the toms.

Comment

You mean like spazzy stuff or the hypnotic Miles Davis stuff? Then yes, but but I played drums.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny47 View Post
              nice dude - cool concept. I'm thinking fuzzy sounding tweed amps with tremolo hehe. Grittier....

When I think New Orleans stuff, I think Louie Armstrong and anything hot that makes you wanna dance. And I think really gritty soul jazz for that stuff too. Sorta like bop meets detroit. Super catchy melodies too. Like this Benson Quartet stuff that's some of my favorite music:

More ideas...
              Wow, those are 2 albums I've had on repeat for the past few months. We would get along really well as musicians!

One of my favorites at the moment and this is the style I attempt to play in/am developing. I guess it's going to be a funky analog of Dexter Gordon, Charlie Parker, Wes, Benson, Scofield, Krantz, and lately tons of Peter Bernstein whose subtlety makes it seem like he's really burning it up without being an annoyingly verbose player (sometimes Jimmy Herring....)

2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Working...
              X