Tweeds with Dual Rectifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweeds with Dual Rectifiers

I was wondering if anybody had some real experience with dual rectifier Tweeds aside from the lo-po Tweed Twin. I guess the 5E6-A Bassman is what I'm asking about. Or any other that I didn't know existed? Just curious - saw that somebody was building a clone of one and was wondering what people thought of them. Should be an interesting discussion. Thanks!
    - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
    - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
    - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
    - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
    - Tungsten Buckwheat
    - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
    - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
    - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Re: Tweeds with Dual Rectifiers

I've played a few 2 rec Bassman amps...same idea as the 2 rec Twin...it was done to keep the amp a little tighter and cleaner.

They are cool but I wouldn't seek out one just because of the 2 rec tubes...

FWIW, one of the BEST tweed Bassman amps I've ever played through was a pretty rough looking 1957 Bassman...that amp haunts me still!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

So is the reasoning behind using two rectifiers about the same as going SS? I'm asking...
      If it makes it tighter, that kinda' defeats the purpose of having the looser amp sound/feel.
      "Play like a Champion"
      PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
      Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
      Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyblu View Post
        So is the reasoning behind using two rectifiers about the same as going SS? I'm asking...
        If it makes it tighter, that kinda' defeats the purpose of having the looser amp sound/feel.
        Well just cause its tighter doesnt mean it feels the same as a SS rectifier. The way they react is still different
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

In those old Fenders with 2 tube recs it's still far less tight and fast then a SS rec would be but tighter and faster than a single tube...
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
            I've played a few 2 rec Bassman amps...same idea as the 2 rec Twin...it was done to keep the amp a little tighter and cleaner.

They are cool but I wouldn't seek out one just because of the 2 rec tubes...

FWIW, one of the BEST tweed Bassman amps I've ever played through was a pretty rough looking 1957 Bassman...that amp haunts me still!
            Sweet Christian! Just wonderin. Thanks for your insight. Tweeds have been on my mind lately
            - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
            - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
            - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
            - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
            - Tungsten Buckwheat
            - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
            - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
            - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

These days, I'd be keeping an eye out for all the great 1990/2000's boutique tweed amps. They sold for big bucks and can sometime come up.

Rather than think about new brands, I'd focus on all the amps like Victoria, Holland, Blues Pearl, Clark, and others from the great boutique era. If you can spot them on the used market, being sold by guys with too many amps, you'll score!
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The 5U4G was the rectifier for the bigger Fenders at the time, the 5AR4 was not in use and not stocked by Fender. I guess it was cheaper to go with a bigger PT that could handle the two 5U4G (lots of current draw) than go for a bunch of new rectifier tubes. There is an pic of Speedy West with an early Twin circa '53-'54 that might have been a prototype. I have a '55 that sounds pretty good to me and the dual rectifier setup and big PT lets you use 5AR4, 5V4, 5R4, or the stock 5U4...lots of possibilities there to tune the response. BTW, these are not particularly loud amps (maybe 35 watts?); for one thing, they lack the long tail phase inverter that comes in with the F series Twin and Bassman...but with the two rectifiers they don't compress as much as as Pro/Super/Bandmaster.
                Last edited by SoPhx; 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X