Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Advice Needed

Hi Seymour Duncan Forums,

I'm thinking about upgrading from my Marshall MG to something more substantial.

I think I've narrowed it down to the following

Peavey 6534+
    Egnater Vengeance
    Blackstar HT-100 (although if money was no object I'd choose the Series 100 104 EL34 if I were to pick a Blackstar product)

I have a Marshall 1960A 4x12 and I like playing music ranging from classic Led Zeppelin to modern Post-Hardcore. (sleeping with sirens, chiodos, Saosin)

Sorry if you guys don't know much about post-hardcore.

I'm looking for more of a rock tone with gain than a metal tone to dial back.

Let me know if you have played any of these amps or have any other suggestions

Thanks

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
    Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 Neck
    Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 Bridge

Re: Amp Advice Needed

have you considered a marshall dsl?
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I've thought about it. Honestly. And this may sound strange. The closer to a marshall an amp is without saying Marshall on it the more I usually like it. Something about real Marshall amps I've never liked. I can't figure out why though.

Comment

Splawn Quick Rod

Comment

hahaha... "Sorry if you guys haven't heard of my super-hip underground music"...hahahaha

just teasin bro...anyway...

that Blackstar HT stuff is the best non-Fender non-Orange non-Marshall Vintage Modern you can buy in that price range...and is actually way cheaper than all that stuff.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

but actually, when i think of it, all of those amps you listed have tons and tons of gain and are pretty much voiced for metal...

when you say "rock with gain" i think of Orange Rockerverb 50...or a 60's Bassman cranked up to 666
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I think the Blackstar should be a consideration. Clean channel works nicely in the HT series and the gain channel is passable.

I don' know the current Peavey line but the 6505 was an awesome amp as long as you were after the one tone it nails.

I have no experience with Egnater.

Comment

Well, I've tried a 5150. And it was pretty over the top. I've always liked the way they sound but it was a one trick pony for sure. I put the 6534+ on the list because I have liked the way 6505's sound. I got a chance to play the egnater a couple days ago and it seemed more what I had in mind. I don't know much about the brand or the amp though, whether they are reliable. I havent seen blackstar amps in our guitar center in a while so I might have to take a trip to try those out. Blackstar's videos sound great though.

Comment

Originally posted by jhdgsn903 View Post
                  I've thought about it. Honestly. And this may sound strange. The closer to a marshall an amp is without saying Marshall on it the more I usually like it. Something about real Marshall amps I've never liked. I can't figure out why though.
                  Which Marshall amps have you tried? The MG series isn't a real Marshall.

Maybe try a Carvin Legacy I, EL34s british voiced or a LAney.
                  Originally posted by grumptruck
                  No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                  Originally posted by Gear Used
                  PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                  Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                  Mesa Stiletto Ace
                  Gurus 5015
                  Mesa Widebody 1X12
                  Pedalboard

Comment

JVM really

Well and the MA which apparently are breaking like its their job.

Comment

You didn't dig the JVM?

The DSL has a more organic tone compared to the JVM.

WHat''s your price limit?

A few rock amps I would suggest

Orange ROckerverb
                      Carvin Legacy
                      Fryette Deliverance
                      Fryette Pitbul
                      Splawn Quickrod
                      Soldano
                      Randall RM series

Don't realy know what you want, price range, clean channel? dirty only?
                      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                      Mesa Stiletto Ace
                      Gurus 5015
                      Mesa Widebody 1X12
                      Pedalboard

Comment

Low budget. All the amps I listed were under 1500. I would like a clean channel. I'm more interested in versatility from the gain. Ability to go from singing to crunch without sacrificing too much from either. I'd rather have that option within a single channel than to be able to run a dirty rhythm channel. I'm more interested in being able to switch between dirty (crunch or lead) and clean than dirty and less dirty via foot switch mid song.

Comment

Originally posted by jhdgsn903 View Post
                          Low budget. All the amps I listed were under 1500. I would like a clean channel. I'm more interested in versatility from the gain. Ability to go from singing to crunch without sacrificing too much from either. I'd rather have that option within a single channel than to be able to run a dirty rhythm channel. I'm more interested in being able to switch between dirty (crunch or lead) and clean than dirty and less dirty via foot switch mid song.
                          The first part of this perfectly described the FRyette Deliverance 60.

Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

if you can work with a single channel heaD, I would highly recommend this.

Use your guitar volume to clean it up.
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

Hmm maybe I could get an eQ pedal or volume pedal to use as a "clean channel" run the level really low.

Comment

Hmm maybe I could get an eQ pedal or volume pedal to use as a "clean channel" run the level really low.

Comment

Working...
                              X