Tremolo help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremolo help

I'm getting a tremolo craving again. I had a Boss tr-2 before, I didn't dig the volume drop though. Although since I now have a buffer, would that cure the tone suck?

Are their any good, moderately priced tremolos? How does the Hardwire series stack up? What about Vibe pedals (Vibrato)?

Desired effect would be that Greenday - Blvd of Broken Dreams style.
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Re: Tremolo help

There's a very simple mod for a TR2 that gets rid of the volume drop.

All you have to do is snip out the large silver cap that's in the middle of the board, it's C4 if I remember right, and that sorts out the level issues. I had it on mine and it worked a treat.

Comment

Voodoo Lab Tremolo - Excellent! I loved mine.
      Myspace,GoodbyeJune Myspace

Comment

Ahhh, Tremolo! The original effect.

So what do you need in a Temolo?
        - Classic fender wobble?
        - Chopped square-wave madness?
        - Flexibility?
        - Hyper-speed mojo-drive button? Panning? Expression option?

And at what price point?
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you want cheap, give one of those bubble packed Behringers a try - if you don't like it, bin it. I quite like mine, though I've no idea how long it would last if gigged - but for the price, who's complaining...
          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Brow View Post
            There's a very simple mod for a TR2 that gets rid of the volume drop.

All you have to do is snip out the large silver cap that's in the middle of the board, it's C4 if I remember right, and that sorts out the level issues. I had it on mine and it worked a treat.

For real? Does it jack the sound at all? I actually like the TR-2 better than the others I've tried, much more than the Stereo Pulsar.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
              For real? Does it jack the sound at all? I actually like the TR-2 better than the others I've tried, much more than the Stereo Pulsar.
              i was reading that it does change the sound, some like it better.
              No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
              Mesa Stiletto Ace
              Gurus 5015
              Mesa Widebody 1X12
              Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Ahhh, Tremolo! The original effect.

So what do you need in a Temolo?
                - Classic fender wobble?
                - Chopped square-wave madness?
                - Flexibility?
                - Hyper-speed mojo-drive button? Panning? Expression option?

And at what price point?
                Mainly to give me that GreenDay BLVD of Broken Dreams vibe thing going on.

Also around a $100
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

If that TR2 deal works, I'd have to go there...

Green day is a pretty square wave without wobble.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I need verification on this TR-2 mod.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                      Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                      i was reading that it does change the sound, some like it better.
                      I can't say as I remember it changing the sound of the pedal in a negative way, and I'm normally quite picky when it comes to sounds etc

I've not used much in the way of effects for the last few years, and any I do use tend to be from a cheapie G-Major nowadays, so I sold the TR2 a while ago. Otherwise I could've checked for you.

I read about the mod in the reviews that they had up on Harmony Central years ago, not sure if they till have them on there or not. I'm sure there's prob some mention of it elsewhere on the net too.
                      Last edited by Brow; 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

the behringer tp300 will do square and sine and pan as well. it does have a noticeable volume drop when engaged though. behringer pedals are a lot of fun for small money but forget modding them and while the cases are pretty sturdy the jacks definitely are not.

with a hundred greens id look out for a good square wave trem

Comment

I've never heard of the snip-one-cap TR-2 mod. I modded my old TR-2 to fix the volume drop by changing one resistor. When I got it, it was to quiet then engaged, then the first resistor swap I tried made it too loud. I finally got around to splitting the difference, and now it's just right. I'd have to dig a bit to find the resistor number and the values.

Keep in mind that recent TR-2s don't have the volume drop problem, Boss finally fixed it.

OP, your buffer won't really fix this problem, the TR-2 is buffered already, and the problem is in the engaged/bypass volume matching, not impedance.

Overall, I think the TR-2 is a great trem. They are plentiful on the used market, versatile in that they have a waveform control. They're great for an all-around pedal that does a variety of sounds, without necesarily nailing a particular vintage amp perfectly.

Edit: Here are Brian Wampler's recommended mods. I used just the R9 mod to fix the volume drop. IIRC, I found the 4.7K resistor made the pedal a bit too loud, so I settled on a 6.8K and have been happy with it.

Last edited by Rich_S; 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM. Reason: Looked up the correct value on the old BossArea Forum
                          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Has anyone ever tried the MXR or Voodoo Lab tremolo????
                            Mesa Stiletto Ace
                            Gurus 5015
                            Mesa Widebody 1X12
                            Pedalboard

Comment

Rich, you rock. Thanks buddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X