EV12l question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EV12l question.

Gettiing ready to mount my EV12L...then I'm going to put it in a cabinet .Open back or closed? How does this get along with Fender amps for cleans?
    I guess for Marshall distortion tones I'm going to want to put it in a closed back cab?
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: EV12l question.

Tele dudes love them in black faces for cleans.

I've had them sealed in the bottom of a half back boogie cab, most awesome metal cab/speaker combo ever with a mark 3.

I don't have a 12L anymore, but I do have a 12S in a boogie convertible 1x12, never played it with the back open though, and esses and elles are fairly different.

Comment

Re: EV12l question.

I have one in my Fender Concert II, and it sounds absolutely amazing, clean and dirty. Works beautifully with dirt pedals too, no nastiness or harshness, etc... It can take all the low end you can throw at it, and never fart out. Plus it'll be substantially louder than pretty much any other speaker you can toss in there (I and my Band were AMAZED at the volume difference when I put the EVM12L in my concert...prior to the EVM I had to turn my amp up to 8 to be heard over everyone else, but with the EVM I rarely have to turn up past 4)

As far as Open V. Closed back...Obviously the Concert is a combo and open back. It sounds great in there, lots and lots of Low end, nice full freq. response, always very controlled and very defined sounding, even with lots of fuzz...Closed back, I have not tried personally. But I was told by several people (including an EV tech when I emailed them), EVM12L's weren't designed to be placed in a standard closed back Marshall (or other 4x12) cab. So in that configuration they (supposedly) lose alot of low end, and lose focus, will cause the back panel to flap around like a condom on a flag pole (unless precautions are taken), and its generally just "not the best enviroment" for them. On the other hand, In a sealed/tuned/ported Thiel enclosure they're supposed to be great, supposedly the best application for them, with a huge low end great mids and great highs, and even higher SPL's....but like I said, this is just what I was told...so I have no idea.

Another thing to keep in mind...The EVM12L is a REALLY heavy speaker, so the baffle in certain cabs aren't built to take the weight, and will over time warp, or fully collapse (again just what I was told). So make sure the baffle in whatever you put them in can take the weight. (I was told Zakk Wylde has the baffles in his Marshall Cabs replaced with Heavier/thicker wood, to prevent the baffle from warping/cracking over time.)
      www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
      I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Working...
      X