Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording EQ question?

Hey guys,

Just wondering, when you record yourself playing do you re-adjust all the EQ settings on your amp for recording, or just hit record?

My recordings and my live sound just isn't adding up. Live, I think it sounds great. After watching myself on video, my tone sounds like I'm playing thru a transistor radio.

(Using a Zoom Q3HD for video recording.)

Is it becuz of my EQ settings?

Should I forget the internal mic on the Zoom Q3HD and record using my Senn e609?

Other ideas?

Thanks!
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Re: Recording EQ question?

How far away from the Zoom are your sound sources?
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Stick your ear where your mic is going and then EQ the amp.

or . . .

Stick your mic where your ears are when you're EQing.

There's a tremendous difference in the sound sound by a mic simply by moving it a few inches one way or another. I'd ditch the internal camera mic and go with your e609 as well . . . it's almost guaranteed to sound better.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
        How far away from the Zoom are your sound sources?
        the zoom is approx 4-6ft away at ear level while seated.
        If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
        DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

The chances are that the further you get away from the speaker, the more room sound you're going to be picking up. Assuming you're not trying to record a number of instruments at the same time with the one mic, then you may well be better off with the e609 and getting it closer to the speaker, probably only a couple inches away. Have a look for an article on 'close micing' and you should be able to get a much better description than I'm likely to provide.
          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Couple questions, are you recording in the same room as you practice in? Locations can make a drastic difference.

ARe you just trying to "lay down" the idea or are you trying to actually "record" a riff. I do both, for just capturing the idea I'll use a Tascam handheld and leave the settings as is. If I want a good quality I always go with a good mic and adjust levels accordingly.
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Originally posted by Gear Used
            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

I adjust the amp until I really like it in the room I'm in, then the mic gets moved around a bit at a time, while I listen in the cans. At some point, the engineer and I look up and smile, and that's where the mic stays.
              Last edited by guitfiddle; 01-18-2012, 12:41 PM.
              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Working...
              X