Mashall jvm 410

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mashall jvm 410

so ive been using booteek pedals and vintage fender amps for the last 10 years or so, but this thing:

has got me gassing. it does everything i need and its all programmable. Mebbe add a midi rack mount thing and im totally in the modern world with killer valve tone. Anyone else used one of these?
    I do have a marshall (mkIII master volume jcm 900), and i used to use a 900 half stack back in the 90s, and id kind of turned my back on midi rigs. But im keen on this. Do the ysound any good at low volumes too?
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-18-2012, 09:50 PM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: Mashall jvm 410

How much versatility were you interested in? The one downside I've found with the JVM410H is that while you can select any mode via midi, the knobs stay in their current position. IE, if you have your orange mode set on 5/5/5, when you go to the red mode on the same channel, its still going to be 5/5/5.

Unless I've been doing it wrong...I'll have to double check the manual.

If you really just wanted to get some midi capable gear for whatever reason, there are a variety of midi controllable amp switchers, that essentially make a non midi amp, midi controllable.

In terms of sound, I've found mine to sound decent enough at lower volumes, but it doesn't need to be set to kill to get good tones.

Comment

thats good info. im prolly just gonna go for 4 good sounds and mebbe use the 2 masters for leads. I like the idea of setting the reverb for each channel. I sometimes use delay and vibe and thats about it.
      using my current set up i have:
      jazzy clean.
      slight overdrive.
      crunch.
      and boosts for all 3 sounds.
      im sure the jvm can do all that and have one super high gain channel spare. and a simple six button footswitch on the floor.

i know the clean channel wont sound like my old twin, but ive heard good things...
      Looks like a trip to the city is the next step to try one out for a while.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Midi in a valve amp ???? Whatever will they think of next .... wind-down windows for the car ? Telephones that don't need wires ? Colour television ? No no no no no, keep it simple. It's like a tv with a dvd player in it .... double the chance of being in the shop, and if the dvd player becomes problematic, you lose your tv while it's away.

You young people nowdays. Of course I blame that Teddy Van Heflin boy, him and red cordial. No good will ever come of this, you mark my words.
        Last edited by crusty philtrum; 01-19-2012, 03:40 AM.
        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

is this one of the KT66 ones?

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
            Midi in a valve amp ???? Whatever will they think of next .... wind-down windows for the car ? Telephones that don't need wires ? Colour television ? No no no no no, keep it simple. It's like a tv with a dvd player in it .... double the chance of being in the shop, and if the dvd player becomes problematic, you lose your tv while it's away.

You young people nowdays. Of course I blame that Teddy Van Heflin boy, him and red cordial. No good will ever come of this, you mark my words.
            you have a unique way of looking at things mr. Philtrum.
            I guess i can always go back to my old non midi tube amps....they never break down! lol
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Jolly has one of the JVM heads I think. He might be able to give you some good info...

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

If you want midi control, versatility........ you may want to give the Randall RM series a try.
                Originally posted by grumptruck
                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                Originally posted by Gear Used
                PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                  thats good info. im prolly just gonna go for 4 good sounds and mebbe use the 2 masters for leads. I like the idea of setting the reverb for each channel. I sometimes use delay and vibe and thats about it.
                  using my current set up i have:
                  jazzy clean.
                  slight overdrive.
                  crunch.
                  and boosts for all 3 sounds.
                  im sure the jvm can do all that and have one super high gain channel spare. and a simple six button footswitch on the floor.

i know the clean channel wont sound like my old twin, but ive heard good things...
                  Looks like a trip to the city is the next step to try one out for a while.
                  The JVM kicks ass. You're right, the clean may not be Blackface Twin but I'll tell you what, it's pretty damn good. Best clean I've ever heard out of a Marshall. I'm not sure about the boosts, you may be able to implement that via MIDI but I don't think you can do it with the stock switch. I could be wrong though.
                  Donnie
                  ---------
                  VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

Yep, the Reverb, effects loops, channel mods and master volumes are midi switchable, but the channel EQ and volumes are not.

The Footswitch for the JVM is very awesome as well, full capabilities in 6 buttons, either setup to be custom to what you want or 1-4 modes and master and effects I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                      Jolly has one of the JVM heads I think. He might be able to give you some good info...
                      Yep. I have a full stack. It's a badass mf'r.

Comment

I have a jvm410c and I love it. It does everything. I must say that I liked the clean on the 6100 better but the jvm kills the 6100 for versatility and high gain.

There is a satriani signature jvm coming soon and the clean channel will be tailored to match the 6100's clean as well as have a built in noise gate. Sadly that's something this otherwise impeccable amp needs. It's easily one of the noisiest amps I've ever played. The master volumes are excellent and it sound great at low volumes (for a tube amp). You can fit kt66, 6L6, 6550, kt77 power tubes if you don't like el34s but you'll have to open it up and bias it which I recommend you do after purchase anyways. There is a dearth of information on the amp over at the jvmforum, much of it from.the designer, Santiago Alvarez, himself.

There is also quite a bit of mods available to bring each of the channels closer to their intended "inspirations".

Comment

thanks everyone.
                          warheart, i kinda guessed that the eq settings are not programmable. Im only really after 3 or 4 sounds anyway. As long as i can switch between them all and maybe access the 2 master volumes ill be very happy.
                          im hoping i can use the 6 buttons to use the 4 channels, one for master volume and the last one to turn on or off the fx loop.

Inkvizitor - ill check out the jvm forum.Thats great! i didn't know there was one.
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                            thanks everyone.
                            warheart, i kinda guessed that the eq settings are not programmable. Im only really after 3 or 4 sounds anyway. As long as i can switch between them all and maybe access the 2 master volumes ill be very happy.
                            im hoping i can use the 6 buttons to use the 4 channels, one for master volume and the last one to turn on or off the fx loop.
                            From the manual:

"Switch Store Mode"
                            Any footswitch is assigned to act as any one of your amp’s front panel switches:

Channel/Mode; Reverb on/off; Master Volume
                            1/2 and FX Loop on/off.

If a switch is assigned to select a particular
                            channel once is has been activated, it can be
                            used to scroll through the three modes, just like
                            its respective front panel switch."

Looks like it yep! The other cool thing is that the footswitch has memory, so it you plug it into another JVM410, it'll still have all your settings saved in it.
                            All through one guitar cable too!

Comment

Yeh that footswitching arrangement is a very nice idea.
                              I actually reckon i prefer not having preset eqs. I always tweak my amps eqs depending on the room im playing. i really only like the idea of midi insofar is that i can use it to switch between channels and toggle some fx on the loop.

Is the clean channel noisy, or is it only noisy on the high gain channels?

im gonna have to try one. Ill try to get down to the city next week.
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X