Faulty DS-1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty DS-1?

I bought a brand new Boss DS-1 a month ago and have been rocking it in the proper way and looked after it. changed the battery once cause the one provided died on my in practice but apart from that its cool. anyways...

Today i get to practice and I changed the battery, I ran out of the super quality 9V batteries to I grabbed a pack of two standard ones from my cupboard, as the battery had gone flat as I hadn't used the pedal in two weeks and the batteries are crappy standardish things.

before I changed the battery everything was ok except when i turned the pedal on it sounded like the lead had a fault in it, so I messed with the lead as I know it can be a pain in the butt and know it's trouble spots. still did it. I then swapped leads with my other guitarist and it did the same thing, so it wasn't my old lead.

I then changed the battery (the change mentioned before) as I thought that could be the issue. Changed it to a fresh one and it still did it. At this point I wanted to throw it at the wall but remembered these things are near bomb proof...

I messed with the knobs and settings and worked with all of the pots at zero and worked up from there. The pedal does its weird cutting out thingy when the distortion pot is turned up in anyway. yet when it is off it operates perfectly fine.

could it be a battery thing or could this be an actual fault? I still have the receipt box and everything for it so I can return it.
    Last edited by Left_Hand_Strat; 01-22-2012, 08:08 PM.
    Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Re: Faulty DS-1?

Sounds like dirty pots (contact cleaner can fix that) and possibly even dying or near dead batteries (even though you grabbed an unopened pack - they don't last forever unused).

Also, you should not be going through batteries like that. When you are not playing or at practice, unplug the cable from the input of the pedal. That will disengage the battery from the circuit and it will not drain.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      Sounds like dirty pots (contact cleaner can fix that) and possibly even dying or near dead batteries (even though you grabbed an unopened pack - they don't last forever unused).

Also, you should not be going through batteries like that. When you are not playing or at practice, unplug the cable from the input of the pedal. That will disengage the battery from the circuit and it will not drain.
      See I always make sure that a cable isn't plugged in...

could be batteries so the plan is when I get the chance I'll by one of those expensive super 9v things which last a long time (well should do!) and see if there is any difference. I need to buy a PSU anyway and will do when i get paid so will see if it still happens then.
      Ich bin mein führer

you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Re: Advice needed: Faulty DS-1?

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
        I bought a brand new Boss DS-1 a month ago and have been rocking it in the proper way and looked after it. changed the battery once cause the one provided died on my in practice but apart from that its cool. anyways...

Today i get to practice and I changed the battery, I ran out of the super quality 9V batteries to I grabbed a pack of two standard ones from my cupboard, as the battery had gone flat as I hadn't used the pedal in two weeks and the batteries are crappy standardish things.

before I changed the battery everything was ok except when i turned the pedal on it sounded like the lead had a fault in it, so I messed with the lead as I know it can be a pain in the butt and know it's trouble spots. still did it. I then swapped leads with my other guitarist and it did the same thing, so it wasn't my old lead.

I then changed the battery (the change mentioned before) as I thought that could be the issue. Changed it to a fresh one and it still did it. At this point I wanted to throw it at the wall but remembered these things are near bomb proof...

I messed with the knobs and settings and worked with all of the pots at zero and worked up from there. The pedal does its weird cutting out thingy when the distortion pot is turned up in anyway. yet when it is off it operates perfectly fine.

could it be a battery thing or could this be an actual fault? I still have the receipt box and everything for it so I can return it.
        Another common issue I've found...Could be a bad diode in the distortion circuit..
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

mebbe the battery lead has been damaged?
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            mebbe the battery lead has been damaged?
            if that was so then why does the pedal work without any faults when the distortion pot is turned 'off'? lol
            Ich bin mein führer

Comment

good point.

if its new id just return it to the shop if you have that option.

failing that, have you looked inside at the pcb traces to find any loose / discolored connections or loose components?
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                good point.

if its new id just return it to the shop if you have that option.

failing that, have you looked inside at the pcb traces to find any loose / discolored connections or loose components?
                i haven't had chance to test it here at home yet, will do in the morning though. If it is faulty then I will return it and see what they say
                Ich bin mein führer

Comment

funny...i had a brand new ds1 stop working too couple of years back. i love pedal modding etc, but as soon as it stopped i just went back to the shop. I did not want them saying id tried to work on it myself etc.
                  Got a new one no problems.....then i started modifying the hell out of it! lol
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I need to buy a PSU anyway and will do when i get paid so will see if it still happens then.
                    Dude, I'm pretty sure I have a couple of these lying around that I'm not using. Pretty sure I can spare one for ya, if you need it. I'm kinda drunk and not at home right now so send me a PM tomorrow to remind me and I'll take a look.
                    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                      Dude, I'm pretty sure I have a couple of these lying around that I'm not using. Pretty sure I can spare one for ya, if you need it. I'm kinda drunk and not at home right now so send me a PM tomorrow to remind me and I'll take a look.
                      ok man will do
                      Ich bin mein führer

Comment

I'd try a new battery. If it still isn't working properly, just return it. You shouldn't have to be troubleshooting a new pedal. Good luck!

Comment

just not feeling the battery as the problem
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            just not feeling the battery as the problem
                            Me either...Ask me how I Know? Lol
                            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Posted from mobile apologies. In advance for mistakes...

Interesting development today. I didn't change the battery right away as I had some time before I needed to hip to the shop for some milk.... Tries it through my amp for an hour. Tone set to 11o clock and distortion set to 2 o clock level at midday and no problems.... I'm still very wary Tbh and mu instinct is to return it...

I was talking to dad about it earlier as well and he said could it have been the amp at the practice room??? I don't see how unless it was not maintained well. The amp I used at practice was a frontman 212r as opposed to my ht5.

What do you guys think????
                              Ich bin mein führer

Comment

Working...
                              X