banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's played an Orange Thunderverb 50 at low volumes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's played an Orange Thunderverb 50 at low volumes?

Why would anyone play an amp named "THUNDERverb" quietly? Have you heard THUNDER before? It's LOUD!

I think maybe you should be looking for an amp named Kittenverb or Meadowstreamverb or maybe even Sleepingloversbreathingverb. That might suit your needs better.

Just kidding. Good luck with the amp.

Brian

Comment

I would absolutely bring the ****ing DOOM on a Kittenverb.
      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
        I'm sure it'd sound killer over there too! But the shipping I'd have to charge you might be in the 6-700$ range.
        I might have to think seriously about that!

Seriously!
        Originally posted by jeremy
        God hates bad guitar tone
        GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
        AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
        EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
        Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
          Why would anyone play an amp named "THUNDERverb" quietly? Have you heard THUNDER before? It's LOUD!

I think maybe you should be looking for an amp named Kittenverb or Meadowstreamverb or maybe even Sleepingloversbreathingverb. That might suit your needs better.

Just kidding. Good luck with the amp.

Brian
          Those are all great names... how did you come up with them? I'm betting they're tentative names for your signature amp right?

Still, It's not that I plan on ONLY playing this this at bedroom volumes but in my current situation, any amp I own has to perform at those levels...

Originally posted by Kam View Post
          I would absolutely bring the ****ing DOOM on a Kittenverb.
          I bring doom to celery and vegetables in general... I leave animals alone but hey, whatever you do on your own time is your business.

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
          I might have to think seriously about that!

Seriously!
          Welcome to my world... I'm seriously thinking about a lot of stuff today... I just played it for about 30 minutes and man does it sound sweet, making me think of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"...

I'm just in a situation where, with a little squeezing, I could buy a really KILLER amp for a good price, even though my current amp does a great job...

Comment

I know. Id have to sell my Traynor to get it. That scares me...i already mesh with it so well. But, that Orange is a dream amp of mine!?
            Originally posted by jeremy
            God hates bad guitar tone
            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon
              Hey how are you doing?

I have a chance at a very good deal on a TV50 right now and, if you don't mind, would like some input since you own one. I've done some search on the web but again, nothing beats asking directly and folks on the Orange forum aren't the most objective based on my observations.

So, if you don't mind, I have a few questions:
              -How does it sound at lower volumes, I really mean in-house non-deafening volumes? Is the attenuator any good at retaining good/great ones? That's the major point for me. If I buy the TV, I sell my TH30 which has the 15-7 watts modes (and is still loud when cranked) and if I'm replacing it with something that sounds bad when dialed down, it wouldn't be a good deal. My rehearsal room in the basement is somewhat soundproofed but I don't want to have to crank it so bad that my wife can't read upstairs without earplugs you know? She's used to hearing me playing but not to walls shaking.

I find that I never really go up to half (or just a tad over half) of the available gain on the TH30. I'm assuming that these levels of gain are achievable on the TV? (I know you don't own one but just generally speaking, I also know the tone will be different, that's a given).

I'm on the fence right now and have to move quick... any help you can send my way will be more than welcome.

Cheers!

Phil
              sorry for the delay in my response - I see your thread - I think it is the best amp ever for me and that I need the 50 watts for the low end response and 30watts would not really be acceptable for my application.

I have never used the amp in my apartment though, I have really cranky neighbors so I am not much help, I am sure the sound would be acceptable at tv volume levels, I would worry about doing that constantly though in terms of wear and tear as it is a REALLY LOUD AMP. prolly not the greatest tone doing that.

sorry I am not much help, cheers on the TV awesomest amp ever, lots have it at the orange forum they may be able to help, just label it clearly in your title so they know exactly what your question is, many TV threads there

note: TV does not have an attenuator. it is

The Thunderverb has two global controls, one for reverb and the other for the amp's built-in attenuator. You can use this last one very effectively to get a decent cranked sound at lower volumes - it's best described as a post-master volume and getting back to those twists we mentioned, the attenuator control works backwards compared to a regular volume control, reducing output levels as it's turned clockwise.

The attenuator control is very cool: it acts on both channels simultaneously to lower the postmaster volume signal and reduces output as you turn it clockwise. With the attenuator set almost fully 'up' (turned clockwise), you can get realistic cranked amp tones at conversation level, while turning it down progressively increases the Thunderverb's output level, of which there is plenty.

Comment

I have made a thread here in the orange forum to possibly help you:

please check in in a day or two

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                  I have made a thread here in the orange forum to possibly help you:

please check in in a day or two
                  Thanks man, I appreciate the help and all. The only reply so far is along what I've been thinking so far.

Again, I don't expect attenuated tones to be as good, just how much this can be useable...

Cheers!

Comment

I just got a Thunderverb yesterday and have put over 5 hrs on it since.
                    It can be played at bedroom volumes and sounds fine doing so.
                    It's a different kinda monster cranked.
                    My first impression of this amp is that it's great for stoner rock, Sabbath, Down (who uses them), that kinda thing.
                    I spent a lot of time hitting the front end with a Fryette SAS. It takes the amp to another level, allowing a person to go from clean to slight breakup to crunch all out mayhem. Pretty cool.
                    This amp is thick, lots of lower mids, with the ability to get scoopy tones on the B channel. It has an old or vintage vibe to it. Definitely it's own thing, very orange.
                    It doesn't make me want to sell my Marshall, but is nice to have for a different flavor.

As for the lower volume tones using the "attenuator"...
                    Think of it as a master volume for the amp, allowing you to attain many different sounds, meaning different eq voicings and breakup, at any volume. Not gonna hurt the amp or tire the tubes like a real attenuator. It is a great tool for getting the tone you want out of this amp, and doing so at whatever volumes.
                    Last edited by NT02; 02-12-2012, 08:07 PM.
                    -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
                    -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

i use a TV 50, most of the times i dont play on a low volume but i have turned it down the odd time when im playing by myself, the attenuator is really handy, i can keep my gain saturation real high but keep the volume low so i dont miss out on any of the tone at low volumes, sounds just as good on a low volume than it does gigging volume
                      www.AllItsWorth.ie

Gibson Les Paul Studio
                      Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/SD Invaders

Orange Thunderverb 50

Comment

rock on!

its a killer amp. undisputed recommendation collective has decided that you get a thunderverb!! and keep the thunder30 too lol u can never have too much orange

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                          rock on!

its a killer amp. undisputed recommendation collective has decided that you get a thunderverb!! and keep the thunder30 too lol u can never have too much orange
                          ah yeah... that's the goal. I've passed on the one that was available for now though. I'm currently working on a cab, using Eminence Reignmakers in there (FDM technology for variable attenuation at the speaker). Once I get all this dialed to my taste, a TV is definitely gonna pop-up in my arsenal.

Thank you all for the comments!

Comment

Working...
                          X