SD Pickup Booster vs. Z-Vex Super Hard On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Pickup Booster vs. Z-Vex Super Hard On

Any thoughts? Does it make any sense to even think about comparing the two? I have the SD pedal, so I know what it is like. It is OK, though not that well made IME. I might have a line on a SHO clone for cheap, and want to know if I should bother thinking about replacing the SD.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: SD Pickup Booster vs. Z-Vex Super Hard On

the pickup booster was more designed to make single coils sound like humbuckers, the hard on just adds some extra sparkle on top, both add volume, if you are looking for a great boost go with the hard on, i would also look at some eq pedals, people dont credit them as much as they should, its like a boost with a full eq
    i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

i have not used an SD, but i had a SHO. It was definitely cool, but id rather have a fatboost because you can trim the bass, treble as well as input and output levels to match whatever guitar/amp combination you are using.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

OMG, SHO ALL THE WAY.
        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by o.p-i.v View Post
          the pickup booster was more designed to make single coils sound like humbuckers, the hard on just adds some extra sparkle on top, both add volume, if you are looking for a great boost go with the hard on, i would also look at some eq pedals, people dont credit them as much as they should, its like a boost with a full eq
          So, are you saying that the SD Pickup Booster is a low-mid booster, while the SHO is more of a treble booster? I thought both were "flat-E.Q." gain pedals.
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

No..... the SHO is not a treble booster.

It is a pretty flat booster but the SHO just brings out way more harmonics than the SD Booster did... SD pedals don't do much of anything for me...
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              So, are you saying that the SD Pickup Booster is a low-mid booster, while the SHO is more of a treble booster? I thought both were "flat-E.Q." gain pedals.
              No, the SD Pickup booster is a flat booster with 2 settings to roll off high and boost mids and the SHO is a flat boost as well but the impedance of the SHO is so high that it adds a bit of clarity, not treble clarity.

That said you're talking about an SHO clone so there is no telling what you'll really get...
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Well, I guess I will find out. I am getting the pedal for free later today. It is a clone made by a local pedal maker who used to work with a friend of mine.
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  Well, I guess I will find out. I am getting the pedal for free later today. It is a clone made by a local pedal maker who used to work with a friend of mine.
                  Clones blow! (just kidding while looking at Andrew's sig...)

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                    No, the SD Pickup booster is a flat booster with 2 settings to roll off high and boost mids and the SHO is a flat boost as well but the impedance of the SHO is so high that it adds a bit of clarity, not treble clarity.
                    +1

I have both, they act exactly like that. I do prefer SD however, that's what I have in my pedalboard as first effect.

Comment

Working...
                    X