Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM900 4500 50W head

Yay? Nay? Pros? Cons?

I'm looking for my holy grail amp. Needs to go from Trowery, distorted single coils to chunky, fat, crunchy, old school metal. I don't have a problem with boosting it with a tube screamer or similar. I don't have much use for cleans although I appreciate them. Opinions? If yes, what should I look for in a 2x12 cabinet? If no, why?

Re: Marshall JCM900 4500 50W head

I loved my JCM900. It was a head, but it was the 100W version, not the 50W. It was a pretty versatile amp for a Marshall. Still nowhere near as versatile as a Fender or Ampeg, though. I liked the dual reverb, dual master/gain controls and the half power switch. The only drawback to the controls was a common one in amps: shared E.Q. by both channels. I sold it to a friend. While I sometimes regret that, I don't think I would trade any of my Ampegs to have it back. And, honestly, as much as I loved it, it always sounded best when being used alongside an Ampeg V-4, not as a standalone amp.

Take a look at Mesa F50 or F30 heads on the used market. They are one of the most versatile amps I've ever played that still had a definite personality. They've been replaced by the Express series, which I actually like better, as the OD channel is not as over the top, and there are voicing switches for each channel, as opposed to pull-bright switches. However, for what you describe, I think an F series amp would be a tad better than an Express.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-04-2012, 10:35 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I had a JCM900 - mine was the 4100 so the 100w with scale down to 50w played through a v30 loaded 4x12. I never jived. Definitely not a wide array of sounds, required some components touched up a few times.

Have you played any of the recto series?

Comment

Originally posted by GLJazz View Post
        Have you played any of the recto series?
        Not actually played through but I am familiar with the sounds. Very nice but just a tad over the top and industrial to my ears. And I don't know if I've ever heard a single coil through them. Based on what I have heard, I have a hard time thinking I could do the more organic Trower/Hendrix single coil thing with them. No?

Comment

Trower played JCM900 Dual Reverbs in this tour, so that department has it covered.

For metal tones, go check the Marshall forums. There are a couple of members with 900 DR's that play metalz.

Not sure if it would fit the "holy grail" bit though.
          If you want a Marshall, get an 800 or a Vintage Modern. The VM covers both bases.
          Amp department:
          JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
          Class 5 (pure class...)
          Hughes&Kettner TM18H
          Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
          Gibson Les Paul Standard
          Fernandes Japan Customshop

Comment

they are okay, but they are geared towards a midrangey high gain sound. The clean channel shares the same eq as the lead channel and is not too inspring. ITs a good workhorse amp for late 80s rock tones. If thats what you are after then go fo it.
            i used a jcm 900 dual reverb 100watter for many years. Currently have a 900 MKIII 100 watt combo too. The master volume models sound better than the dual reverb ones IMO
            Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-05-2012, 06:33 AM.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I was never a fan of the 900s but some folks have success with them. The Plexis, 800s and even the DSL heads were more my speed.
              www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
              www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S. View Post
                I was never a fan of the 900s but some folks have success with them. The Plexis, 800s and even the DSL heads were more my speed.
                +1

I had two Jcm 900 in the past, one the common 2 channels head and the other was the SL-X 50W, I really liked the second one only, the 4500 sounded sterile and harsh to my ears.
                I think the SL-X was an underrated amp.

Comment

i have one... don't do it man.
                  if you really want a 2-channel marshall get a DSL
                  you have to jumper the effects loop (to get the whole preamp working) and run it in pentode mode to get it happening, and it's still just fake-sounding dirt and a very marshally clean channel.
                  funnily enough, running the clean channel hot is the way i usually use mine; and there are other options as far as 2x6L6 'clean' amps go

i much prefer my 15W night train

Comment

you could look for a TSL 2x12 combo, i think they have a V30 and a H30 as standard

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                      you could look for a TSL 2x12 combo, i think they have a V30 and a H30 as standard
                      I put it in the same sound category as the jcm900 2 4500, no doubts.
                      In another thread there was some debate on TSL vs. DSL and it appears the DSL wins hands down, although the circuits are similar

Comment

sounds like it's DSLFTW

Comment

Thanks for the opinions. Maybe I'll keep looking. I should also mention that the amp this would be replacing is a Genz Benz El Diablo 60W combo. It would need to be better than that or no dice.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S. View Post
                            +2. Also check out the vintage modern. Which also happens to be Trowers current weapon of choice
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                              Also check out the vintage modern
                              I heard a guy playing the vintage modern live and it was very good, but his sound was too much effected to correctly judge

Comment

Working...
                              X