Cabinet Wiring help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cabinet Wiring help.

Don't hide under your carpet. That's just silly.

Now, go to your room.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Re: Cabinet Wiring help.

Ok, while researching a new amp build I read through The Guitar Amp Handbook, by Dave Hunter, and came across his version of this on page 173.
      He calls it "independent parallel/linked series jacks" and there is no switch.
      This guy blogged about making his own.

So, yea, basically you choose one or the other speaker, both at double the ohm rating, both at half the ohm rating, or you can run an amp into each speaker.

Here's the wiring using Cliff jacks:

This guy added a switch to that scheme, which looks like what the OP was doing:
      Ah, I’ve realized if you use the type of jacks you’ve used the connection between each soldering post on the jack is broken when the plug is inserted! D’oh! I followed your schematic but had different jacks so put a 10 amp DPDT switch between the R +ve and L -ve. This also allowed me to wire it so I could switch between parallel @ 4 ohms and series @ 16 ohms as well as stereo @ 8 ohms each.

8 ohm speakers on the left, 16 ohm speakers on the right.

And this guy figured out how to wire it up using 2 16 ohm speakers:
      So, I figured out how to wire it up so that running stereo/single speakers are at 16 ohms, with mono/both speakers in parallel at 8 ohms. It works like a champ and it turns out to be simple to wire.

Basically, the unswitched side of each outside jack connects to speaker terminals, tip to positive, sleeve to negative. The switched side of each outside jack then connects to the unswitched side of the middle jack, tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve.
      MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
      Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Working...
      X