banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q for you guys with LOTS of effect pedals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q for you guys with LOTS of effect pedals...

How do you manage having so many effects?

1 BIG pedal board?

2 pedal boards?

Constantly swap pedals in & out of your chain?

Use a looper?

Other tips, tricks, ideas?

I have alot of pedals and I'm too lazy to swap them in & out all the time. I had to expand to 2 pedal boards but that equals one long azz chain.

Thanks!
    Last edited by lex666; 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM.
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Re: Q for you guys with LOTS of effect pedals...

I found that a multi-loop true by pass pedal switcher helped a lot. I didn't have to do a lot of tap dancing to switch pedals. I only have 4 pedal now so no longer need to really worry about that.

If I ever went to a huge pedal board I would probably go to a midi setup. Keep just the midi board in front of we and store all of the pedals in a rack.

Comment

One fairly big board.. I refuse to go bigger, which forces me to really choose my pedals and priorities critically.
      My Soundclick

Comment

Cater your board to the style/songs you play. If your playing out live, cater the board to your setlist. Have one for covers and one for originals, etc.
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Originally posted by Gear Used
        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

One big board. Some loops just to cure the tone suck, but primarily designed based on a buffer up front, then liberal use of buffered and TB pedals throughout. No snobbery one way or the other. Some buffers sound okay, others stink and need to be true bypassed.

Probably 80% of the board stays put, then some are constantly swapped on and off the board on a "per gig" basis.

THEN....(bracing for flames) I have an Ibanez EPP400 in a rack with some junk in it, and the pedal to control it is on my board. If I ever want something in a loop, after my distortion, I can place it into one of the EPP400's loops. Right now it's an old Ibanez 8-bit digital delay. The loops are laced with Tube Screamer style buffers between each one. So it's a tone suck or a "warming loop" depending on how you look at it! LOL.

Comment

One fairly big board.. I refuse to go bigger, which forces me to really choose my pedals and priorities critically.
            I'm more like this...

But, if you have too have them all...a looper is the way to go.
            Originally posted by jeremy
            God hates bad guitar tone
            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
              Cater your board to the style/songs you play. If your playing out live, cater the board to your setlist. Have one for covers and one for originals, etc.
              That's kind of what I do now.

1 small pedal board for my commonly used effects.

The 2nd board contains all my 'extra' effects and amp footswitches. A Loop Master bypass pedal puts the 2nd board in & out of the chain plus allows me to activate multiple effects at one time.

I know that when the 2nd board is 'on' I have a long, tone suckin' chain. Not really thrilled about the idea, but it works. I guess I'm looking for other, better alternatives - if they exist.
              If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
              DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

I have one big ass board with 12 pedals on it and I don't toy with it unless I add or remove a pedal from the chain. It has stayed the same for about the past year.
                Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
                I dig the wood!

Comment

one 8-unit pedalboard and a couple of drawers full of effects i constantly switch in and out of the board

Comment

I just have one big board that I built to fit all the pedals I use.
                    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

If you have a really big board, something like the Voodoo Labs GCX might interest you.

Google Brad Paisley or Keith Urbans rig. Both of those guys run lots of pedals and lots of amps. I believe each of them run a few of the GCXs to control everything effortlessly.

Comment

What do you call LOTS of effects??
                        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

A big-ass looper and a big-ass pedalboard.
                          -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                          I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                            What do you call LOTS of effects??
                            I think it differs from person to person, but for me...

8+ = a lot

4-7 = healthy

0-3 = ideal
                            Last edited by ericmeyer4; 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I'd never sting all my pedal up at one time, it's just stupid...too much signal loss and no need for that much stuff.

I have around 8-10 pedal on my main board at any given time but they all serve a purpose and I have a need for them all.

I also keep a small board on hand for grab and go and gigs with small stages, its only got a few pedals and is more limited than the big board but it'll get me through a gig or open mic with no issues!

If I find myself not using a pedal very often I often pull it, no need to carry and power a pedal thats not getting used.

All this said I have had boards with more than 10 and boards that had just 2...
                              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                              X