combo vs head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combo vs head

what are the pros an cons? some say that you lose low frequencies, but that's just because of the cab no? then you can get an extension 4x12 as a fix right? some say features, but let's just say that they are the same in this case. others say, it just looks cooler on stage! what are your opinions? i'm about to record a cd and play live and i hear that in a studio you're better off with a combo because volumes are easier to handle, but in this case it's a 120w combo. also, that heads are better live because of its headroom, the head is also 120w. right now i have money for the combo but not for the head and cab and i will record in two weeks, but won't present the cd until april. what soul i do?
    Guitars:
    Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:
    Peavey MX VTX, Bugera 333x Infinium

Pedals:
    AMT SS-11B

Re: combo vs head

You need both.
    Sell some stuff or work some OT.

Comment

I prefer head.
      If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
      DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

closed back cabs add a nominal 6db extra bass frequencies.
        Wattage/volume/headroom is all about the amp itself and the type of speakers you are using.
        Combos have the tubes upside down so they are more prone to heat damage than heads.
        Combos are more prone to tube issues caused by vibrations as the speakers and the tubes are all part of the same cab. Heads are more prone to falling off the cab (not funny if it happens to you!).
        Open backs can have a rich and complex tone and spread due to the sound emanating from the back of the cab. Closed cabs are direct and focused.
        At a gig, head and cabs are two trips from the car to the stage, a combo is one.
        Its all about which one delivers the sound that you want. Both are good.

What amp are you looking at BTW? What tones are you going for?
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Combos are easier to move then head/cab. Tonal differences can be huge. I was just playing my 900 Marshall 50W combo. I haven't used the amp in at least a year & I was surprised at how brittle it sounded. I'm beginning to question how I like it so much?? Maybe my ears have adjusted to my Bogner and other amps??
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Combos look stupid on 4x12 cabinets..other than that, I like a combo for playing out the 1x12 or 2x12..
            Can't have your cake...
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Crane View Post
              You need both.
              Sell some stuff or work some OT.
              i've been trying to sell but it's proving to be harder than i initially thought. and there is no such thing as overtime here. you end up getting paid the same.
              Guitars:
              Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:

Pedals:
              AMT SS-11B

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                closed back cabs add a nominal 6db extra bass frequencies.
                Wattage/volume/headroom is all about the amp itself and the type of speakers you are using.
                Combos have the tubes upside down so they are more prone to heat damage than heads.
                Combos are more prone to tube issues caused by vibrations as the speakers and the tubes are all part of the same cab. Heads are more prone to falling off the cab (not funny if it happens to you!).
                Open backs can have a rich and complex tone and spread due to the sound emanating from the back of the cab. Closed cabs are direct and focused.
                At a gig, head and cabs are two trips from the car to the stage, a combo is one.
                Its all about which one delivers the sound that you want. Both are good.

What amp are you looking at BTW? What tones are you going for?
                nice, thanks.

well, a bugera 333xl. i know most of you hate it because of reliability, but it sounds awesome, imo. for the band i'm in right now, a sound somewhat like rammstein's with sparkly cleans. i've tried this amp and it sounds what i'm looking for, and it's within price range. i like my amps middy so i'm buying it with el34's. i need a big sound for simple riffs without much chug.
                Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:
                AMT SS-11B

Comment

Originally posted by lex666 View Post
                  I prefer head.
                  Yeah, but doesn't the combo come
                  with fries and a drink?

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                    Combos are easier to move then head/cab. Tonal differences can be huge. I was just playing my 900 Marshall 50W combo. I haven't used the amp in at least a year & I was surprised at how brittle it sounded. I'm beginning to question how I like it so much?? Maybe my ears have adjusted to my Bogner and other amps??
                    even if you're looking at the same model but one is head and the other combo?
                    Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:
                    AMT SS-11B

Comment

The unfortunate reality is that you may need several kinds of amps to be a gigging musician these days. A stack with your Metal band; a Deluxe Reverb for your Blues band.

I prefer a Mesa Boogie amp. When I can't use my half-stack, either due to volume issues or a tiny stage, I like to use my Mesa Mark IV 112 EVM combo on top of a Mesa 112 EVM Theile cab. It's a small footprint, and the knobs are at a good height. A Mark IV is a darn good recording amp, in that it can produce such a wide range of tones. While that tweakability might not be the thing you want for live usage (though it works for me!), in the studio it's a great feature to have. Sounds like you don't have the budget for a Mark IV, or a Marshall stack, though. This is one place where I might recommend using a modelling amp, like a Line 6, Vox or Fender Cyber-Twin.

In the studio, size doesn't matter one bit; many artists and engineers will tell you that a small Fender Tweed amp can sound HUGE in the studio. I doubt one could even count the number of records made using small tubes amps like a Vibro Champ, Princeton and Deluxe Reverbs.

If you are playing live with a good PA, you might not need a huge amp, either. Your sound engineer will want to mic up your amp and keep your stage volume low--to let the PA do the heavy lifting. And here in blues-crazy Portland, you see a lot of guys using that 22-watt Deluxe Reverb cranked in a small club--unmiked--and still have enough amp. Now, that probably won't work well for your Death/Thrash/Speed Metal band, either in tone or image.

Another hard reality to face though, might simply be, "How am I going to transport this monster amp to my gigs?" Not a problem if you've got access to a soccer-mom van, and three guys to help you--big problem if you're trying to load a 412 into the back seat of a Honda Fit by yourself.

I have amps that go from 15, 30, 35, 50, 75, 85 and 200 watts. Having the right sized amp for any venue is a must. (BTW, my 200-watt Mesa Mark III Coliseum half-stack is total overkill for me--but it is a GREAT sounding amp!) I'd look into perhaps some kind of modelling head, and then getting a 412 or 212, and a 112 cab. That is at least a start for building a stable of amps.

And don't be afraid to buy used gear. Do budget for a service check up and a set of new tubes. You might be in a area where that pawn shop might have an OLD Peavey Butcher, VTM 60 or 120, Triumph, Mace or Heritage. These are great sounding, well-made amps that can be had for CHEAP--and they take pedals well. There might be a Marshall JCM 900 or JTM 60 out there ready to rock; or a Fender Concert, 75 or Twin Reverb II that need a set of dirt pedals to turn into screamers. A three-channel Mesa Nomad would be a fabulous find, and I know there are several in my area for VERY reasonable prices. These are all amps that are going to do well in both the studio and on the stage. Remember, Jimmy Page did wonders in the studio with a Supro amp (they were NOT the best amps!) and a $75 Tele.

Whatever you do, it all comes down to tone. If nothing else, you really want to get the best sounding amp. And I would advise you to buy a PRO-QUALITY amp, even if you have to spend a little more--even if you have to wait a little longer--even if you have to give up your $3.00 lattes--even if you have to give up your Jack and your micro-brews.

Good luck in your career!

Bill
                      Last edited by Boogie Bill; 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM.
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Practically speaking, a good tube combo is the way to go.

The only time I break out the 4x12 and head is for recording as there is a certain depth that comes with high gains tones through a 4x12, but have I no issue getting great high tones from my Mark V 1x12
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                          You might be in a area where that pawn shop might have an OLD Peavey Butcher, VTM 60 or 120, Triumph, Mace or Heritage. These are great sounding, well-made amps that can be had for CHEAP--and they take pedals well.
                          Those are horrible horrible sounding amps Boogie.Also, they've dried up from the used scene..5 -6 years ago you'd see them pop up now and again, but not no more..I had a couple of those..but i don't even think they had enough tone fpr bass.By now, those old Peaveys need a complete recap.
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

a used marshall DSL is a better investment than a new bugera btw
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                              Combos are easier to move then head/cab. Tonal differences can be huge.
                              I don't know. Most 2x12 's are pretty heavy and bulky to drag around. With a separate head and cab, you may have to make another trip, but the weight and bulk isn't as bad on either trip.

For most local gigs, a 30+ watt 1x12 combo is enough. On a big stage a half stack looks more impressive, but you really don't need it, as you can mic a small amp and get all the volume you need.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                              X