banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victoria Amps... 110-->240v... a few other Qs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria Amps... 110-->240v... a few other Qs?

I've been looking for months for the perfect low gain/low watt recording amp, having been underwhelmed with the offerings of the better known brands.

Victoria Amps has never been on my radar before, but after checking out their website i've found my holy grail - the Victoria 5112 (a '50s Fender Champ clone but with a 12" speaker). I'm ready to get one now, but need a few questions answered

1. What is the reputation of Victoria Amps?
    2. Does anyone in Australia own one of their amps?
    3. Can anyone tell me if these amps are 240 volt switchable, or will I need some sort of power adaptor to run them?
    4. Is there any 'negative' sonic impact from changing the operating voltage?

I've tried contacting their Australian distributor, but the phone has rang out 4 times. Maybe you guys can help me with my queries.

Re: Victoria Amps... 110-->240v... a few other Qs?

1. What is the reputation of Victoria Amps?
    They are amazing amplifiers. I've played one several times @ my rehearsal studio (Ultrasound Rehearsal in NYC). Always loved the sound I got from them!

2. Does anyone in Australia own one of their amps?
    3. Can anyone tell me if these amps are 240 volt switchable, or will I need some sort of power adaptor to run them?
    4. Is there any 'negative' sonic impact from changing the operating voltage?
    Don't know the answers to any of these questions.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

5112's are listed in the US for around US$1000 - the distributor here has them priced at around US$2400... you can kinda see why I want to skip this middleman.

Comment

Victoria are some of the finest amps you can buy.
        -
        My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

its a power transformer thing, worst case you buy a new tranny and swap it out

Comment

Frank Lee had one. Nice sounding amp. Louder than you might think, so don't think you'll get ZZ Top or Neil Young face meltage at middle-of-the-night volumes.

Frank Lee cannot help you with the power thing, but if you could post a video of the water in the toilet going down counter clockwise, He would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Comment

The power transformer voltage (e.g., 120 or 220) has not effect on tone.
              Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
              When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
              Red Devils - 1% all the way!
              Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
              Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I was gonna say that they have a couple you could try at jacksons rare guitars in annandale, sydney, but i just realized you live in brisbane.
                FWIW. i run an american amp with a step down transformer which works fine.
                However, you can build (or have built for you) a champ clone with all the good stuff and a 12 inch speaker with a kit by ceriatone. Check out the website and just have it done with a 240v tranny built in.
                Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-11-2012, 07:56 PM.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                X