banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Does Marshall--But BETTER than a Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Does Marshall--But BETTER than a Marshall?

So if I want a great Marshall tone, who's building a better mousetrap?

Splawn Quick Rod?

Mesa Stiletto or Royal Atlantic?

Blackstar?

Laney?

Orange?

Or????

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Re: Who Does Marshall--But BETTER than a Marshall?

what era?
    Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

spawn's always been on my list for if I need a "hot-rodded better than marshall".
      There was a bogner that I thought would be better than getting any 800 or modded 800 kind of thing.

most Orange stuff is different enough that I don't say they're better or worse.

I'd say the hughes & kettner triamp is also something I'd like to get for a "do several marshall flavors and then some" kind of thing.

most of these are really more toward the "modded 800" sound, and beyond.

If I wanted a straight up 100W 1959 SLP, I'd be looking at people who do straight-up clones. When you want a plexi, sometimes you just have to get a plexi. Same with a blues breaker. The simplicity of those amps are a main reason to like them, so i don't look for anyone who's "done it better" I just want the classic design done right.

Comment

Orange splawn Laney. In that order. Mesa sounds great but never like a marshall

Comment

I went with a Stiletto and can't complain at all. It does the JCM style really well, but it can back off for some decent Plexi tones as well.

I recently used it to record my brother-in-law's band and one of the tunes (which was some early 80s Benatar) sounded so much like old Priest you would catch yourself singing the opening line of the Priest tune.

If I was going for the ultimate Marshall tone I would hunt down a Mojave Peacemaker.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Splawns may be very heavilly influenced by and be in a very similar ballpark to Marshall, but they do also have some of their own going on too.

I've loved mine ever since I got it almost 2 years ago, it covers pretty much everything I want Marshall tone wise, but it's not so great at the 'just breaking up' JTM/Plexi thing. For everything else JCM800 onwards, it's awesome.

Comment

Soldano then Splawn.

Orange is a different beast.

Laney is a knockoff of Marshall (not dissing Laney, but no way does it do a better Marshall than Marshall does).
              Last edited by mwalluk; 02-10-2012, 07:13 AM.
              Originally posted by grumptruck
              No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
              Originally posted by Gear Used
              PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
              Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
              Mesa Stiletto Ace
              Gurus 5015
              Mesa Widebody 1X12
              Pedalboard

Comment

I have a Marshall that I think I am going to sell. But to answer the question. I think a Bogner is a great interpretation of Fender/Marshall in one box. They really aren't a clone, they are better. More clarity to every note in the drive stage & the cleans are to die for. Specifically I have a Shiva and it is a wonderful amp. Marshall drive/Fender cleans. It doesn't get much better for me.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
                  Orange splawn Laney. In that order. Mesa sounds great but never like a marshall
                  Oranges don't sound like Marshalls. All the ones I've ever played or heard, anyway. Laney have their own thing going on too, but they've definitely got that crunchy British flavour.
                  I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

There are SO many companies that do various incarnations/hybrids of Marshalls -- Orange sounds nothing like a Marshall. Some Matamps do, however. There is also Naked, Marsha, Metropoulos, Bumbox, Fargen, Friedman ... the list goes on ad infinitum.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I like Splawn amps so much that I have two of them.

I've also owned Orange, Bogner, and VHT/Fryette in the past.. and the Splawns are the amps that stuck around.

It's a feel thing.

Posted using Tapatalk
                      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

The Ole Peavey Butcher is good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                          Oranges don't sound like Marshalls. All the ones I've ever played or heard, anyway. Laney have their own thing going on too, but they've definitely got that crunchy British flavour.
                          that's why there better!

Joke

Comment

Just get a Marshall MG and be done with it.

Litterally...be done with it.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The samples I've heard of Metropolis plexi's and Category 5 amps are pretty good.
                              "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Working...
                              X