Guitar Cabs! question on dimensions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Cabs! question on dimensions..

Any Amplifier/Cab builders out there to help a noob?

I was wondering if dimensions affect the quality on guitar cabs. I wanted to start a project building a guitar cab, I want a fairly small say.. 12''x12'' so say like a foot long both width and length. So I am imagining a shape of a cube, with one speaker.

I want this for nice portable use and just to jam at home nice and quietly, I wanted to get a Zvex nano head to go along with this small cab I have in mind making.

Any thoughts on this?

Re: Guitar Cabs! question on dimensions..

A cube is probably going to be the toughest shape to work with...unless you offset the driver in the box. The idea is to have the distance be unequal from the center point of the driver to any wall in the box and to avoid making any of those dimensions a multiple of of any other dimension; your cube violates that. Equal or dimensions or dimensions that can be multiplied (or divisible) by other dimensions equal frequency cancellation inside the box..you don't want that.

I recommend that you research the "golden ratio" and build your box off of that. The volume of the box also affects how it sounds as does if it is sealed or ported. Open back cabinets are, for all practical purposes, ported boxes.

You knew this wouldn't be an easy answer, didn't you?

Welcome to the forum.
    Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

A cab that small will only fit an 8" spkr, possibly a 10".
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

i could help you build it

Comment

Working...
        X