In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida fuzz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida fuzz?

For some strange reason, I thought about Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida this morning. I can't listen to it right now, all I have is a vinyl copy I bought when I was in sixth grade.

If the album cover was any indication, Eric Braun used a Mosrite Ventures model into large (probably US-built and probably solid-state) Vox amps.

Anybody know what the fuzz was on that track? Very '60's. Great angry-elephant sounds, too. It may not be considered "good" but it's at least "classic".
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida fuzz?

Mosrite Fuzzrite
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

First band I ever saw live was Iron Butterfly in 1968. Eric Braun was amazing. I think his guitar had P-90's.

Is there a good current-manufacture version of Mossrite Fuzzrites?
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        First band I ever saw live was Iron Butterfly in 1968. Eric Braun was amazing. I think his guitar had P-90's.

Is there a good current-manufacture version of Mossrite Fuzzrites?
        Eric used a Mosrite guitar back then and while those pickups are big single coils they are not really like P-90's.

Fuzzrite clones...there are a few.

D*A*M did one for a short time and they now sell for stupid money, in many cases more than an original Mosrite which also sell for stupid money.

Mahoney, Creepyfingers and Ashbase all 3 sell Fuzzrite copies or clones plus there are several others but those 3 come to mind.

Don't get caught up in the Ge vs Si Fuzzrite...there were only a handfull of the Ge versions made in the first place and Eric's was almost certainly an Si version.

All this said if you want that sound from a pedal that will do more and not break the bank the Catlinbread Merkin Fuzz can be had much cheaper than most clones and does have more of a sonic range.

Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 02-12-2012, 07:06 AM.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

What is this Catlinbread Merkin Fuzz you speak of!?

I am so ordering one after that vid

Thanks!!
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Has some sounds similar to my Gibson Maestro Fuzz from the 60's. Esp in Satisfaction. But I think it gets a lot more fuzz than the Maestro.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Cool video! I love the Buck Owens (Don Rich) clip!!!
              I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Working...
              X