Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NOS tubes...

Originally posted by PRSfan nym 1985 View Post
    I wasn't really disagreeing with you simply pointing out that some people still won't justify the cost.
    The cost issue is an interesting one. I don't think I've ever paid more than $30 for a good used RCA black plate 12AX7. With regular touring and flying, I have seen the latest pre tube I put in the amp last 5 years, and showing no signs of giving up yet. Weighing that up against the longevity (or lack thereof) of current production tubes, I wonder how much I would have spent in the same time frame on one of the many brands that come out of the Xpo-pul factory, or Shanguang or Slovakia.

But your point is taken, for many people, the differences simply aren't enough to justify going through the process, for whatever reason. For playing at home, or at an amateur level, it is probably of little or no consequence. The same could be said for owning a decent guitar or amp in the first place. For those who get involved in forums like these because they are fascinated with guitar and tone and the possibilities, there's the likelihood that the information of what's available, and what is good, or great, will be of much more interest, even if just for their own entertainment.

Cheers.................................... wahwah
    Highway Star
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    Mistreated
    Cause We Ended As Lovers
    Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
    Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

and unfortunately when you go online not everyone plays in bands or even in front of other people. So their subjective opinion on perfect tone isn't even based on playing in real world scenarios where you have to cut through a mix, etc. Playing in a small bedroom in an apt vs playing on a concert stage (big or small) are two different things.

And as you said a lot of people don't like being bothered with the process of buying vintage tubes when they can just hop on tubestore or eurotubes and be on their way.

I couldn't agree more about people just ponying up and buying the right gear in the first place, or setting up that gear to play well, etc.

the internet can be a great place but it can also be horrible because there are a lot of people that don't have much experience putting out misinformation.

And I agree on the cost front a lot of times spending more on the right gear up front saves you money long term.

Comment

Originally posted by jones View Post
        I'll take more care to check the date codes if I decide to go for some NOS mullards in the future. I think I like the KT66 in this amp, I am going to try the JJ ones at some point soon perhaps. May eventually drop some money on some old GEC, but those are $400 a pair at least, and going up...
        Yeah, the popular big power tubes is where my fascination with vintage tubes stops, because the prices are prohibitive, and the available stock really is the dregs of what was once available. Vintage EL34s, 6L6s and the like have pretty much seen their best days come and go, and the good stuff has been used up. I think a lot of people think that the preamp tubes side of things must be the same way, but there's still plenty out there. My main amp uses 6V6s, so I've still been lucky enough to stash enough pairs of the good stuff to keep it and its spare twin going for the rest of my career. For power tubes, it's a matter of finding what works best from the current production, but it is generally the case that the first pre tube is going to have a more profound effect on the tone anyway, so it's an area primed for experimentation with the many offerings.

Cheers......................................... wahwah
        Highway Star
        Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
        Mistreated
        Cause We Ended As Lovers
        Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

I notice much more difference between pre-tubes than power tubes, though I do have a set of STR387's.

Wah, I looked again, my Raytheons are dated 57, RCA's are 63, good call. They all came out of a Lowry organ, haha.

Comment

yeah if i could afford a set of golden age 6ca7 power tubes and a good trio of 12ax7 preamp tubes for my tweaker i'd be all over it, unfortunately I just haven't found the right deal. So for now I'll be going with JJ's from Eurotubes, which really aren't all that bad. Bob stands behind what he sells and he tests his products.

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
              I've had a different experience of vintage tubes. Around 2003 I started collecting enough of a stash of what I found to be the best for my amps, namely late 50s black plate RCA 12AX7s and 6V6GTs, and a few early 60s Mullard short plate ECC83s. I didn't bother buying NOS, I just bought 'good used' that still had 90% or more of their life left. Most of my work is interstate, so I've got a Fender Super Champ that is constantly flying, and it has had the same set of RCAs in it for the past 5 years. The amp was recently serviced, and the tech said the tubes were still going strong, and they certainly still sound great.

I have avoided using tube dealers because their prices are ridiculous. And as I said, I have also bought good used as opposed to NOS, thus avoiding the extra premium. eBay still has plenty of listings for the tubes I like, but I've probably got enough stashed away for all of my amps for the rest of my life. I still haven't heard a current production tube that comes close to the Golden Era stuff, so I wouldn't waste my money on them, especially with their reliability problems and ludicrously short life by comparison.

Gimme this stuff, any day...

Cheers................................. wahwah

My thoughts exactly...
              ]
              FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

So, for those who don't want to buy NOS, who makes what you consider to be the "best built" current-production tubes?

I just tested the tubes in my Jet and in my Princeton, and I have a motley collection of JJs, GTs, Sovteks, RCAs, Magnavoxes, maybe a Phillips or GE or Ruby two. I've never paid it much mind, and never noticed a problem with my amp's tone. My EL84's and the 12AX7's in the Jet read at around 75 percent, so I'd like to get some replacements at the ready, since I'll probably need to change them some time in the next year or two.
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-15-2012, 05:51 PM.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I think a lot of it depends on the tube you are replacing and the tone you are after.

For a smoother preamp tube the Mullard RI is nice, for a darker pre tube the JJ is nice, for brighter the Tung Sol is nice.

Since you mentioned EL84's my favorite current production EL84 is probably the JJ.

I liked Groove Tubes before Fender took them over and ruined them, Ruby is ok, JJ isn't bad, etc. really every brand I've tried has hit and miss products.

Comment

I have found that NOS tubes are not great in modern higher gain amps. I have them in my DR Z and my old Fender Princeton and they are godly. In my ENGL and Blackstar amps I actually prefer modern chinese preamp tubes.
                    Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Try some RFT in place of those Chinese tubes if you get an itch, but yeah, nothing wrong with Chinese tubes. Marshalls like them a lot.

Comment

So I checked the date codes on my mullards, they all seem to be late sixties. I did find one that is usable after all for V1, see how long it lasts. I think I'll check around again to see what I find...

Comment

I freaking love Telam EL84s......... drool.... sweet compression.
                          Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                          Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Working...
                          X