NAD!!! 5150III In the House.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD!!! 5150III In the House.

Well, my brand new 5150III arrived today. Had the chance to play it for a few hours tonight. So far, I think it sounds great. All three channels are very usable, and once I have had more time with the amp I know will smoke. It's a lot more Marshall voiced that some of my amps have been in the past few years, so I'm having to get used to that style voicing again. I can tell that this amp is going to cut right through a band mix. :rock:

Some things that I have noticed. Channel switching is not silent kike they advertise. I have a very audible pop when I switch between the channels. Not I deal breaker, but annoying for sure. The Blue channel... Man, this channel is 99% there. I wish they had given this channel just a touch more gain. I'll have to see what OD pedal this amp will like. Channel 3 (or Red) is the ****! Talk about just mean, mean thick meaty gain!!! This channel alone was worth the amp. I'm still dialing it in, but I already know that this is going to be where I spend a lot of time on the amp. The green channel (clean) sounds really nice. It's full and with the gain up a tad, I get a really nice light breakup when I really dig in to it. More than usable for my needs.

The Loop... The loop is going to be where I have issues with this amp. It does not like my Nova System at all. I don't know if this amp was setup more to take pedals in the loop, but it seriously does not like my NS. I'm getting this washed out chorusing effect when I have the loop turned on and there's no chorus on my patches. Gonna have to play with this a bit.

Over all, I am very happy with the amp so far. I have band practice Thursday, so that will be the true test. Anyway... here's a quick iphone pic...

I was watching a Gary Hoey vid and noticed that he had changed the color of the volume knobs to better stand out. I thought that was a brilliant idea... so I did the same thing. Makes them easy to find quickly.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Re: NAD!!! 5150III In the House.

I was seriously considering 1 of those amps a few years ago when I was on my big 'amp hunt'. I couldn't track 1 down to try for myself though I love the clips I've heard of it though.

Glad you're enjoying your new amp

Comment

new stuff rocks
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Originally posted by Gear Used
      PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
      Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by Brow View Post
        I was seriously considering 1 of those amps a few years ago when I was on my big 'amp hunt'. I couldn't track 1 down to try for myself though I love the clips I've heard of it though.

Glad you're enjoying your new amp
        Channel 3 alone makes this amp worth owning if you like high gain.

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
          Channel 3 alone makes this amp worth owning if you like high gain.
          I'm not a super high gain player, and usually like something with more of a vintage high gain voice to it.

From what I've heard of the EVH it does that very well.

Comment

Oh lawdy!

Comment

At a music trade show in 2010, which a number of us forum bros attended, I watched/listened to Petrovsk Mizinski put this amp through its paces - he was playing a Jackson 7 stringer with EMGs.

Ridiculous amount of gain on the red channel, I can see why metal muckers like it. It's pretty smooth too at low volume, not harsh like a MESA Rectifier.

The blue channel was quite nice, and, for me, has more than enough gain.

The clean... come on, do you buy this amp for a clean tone in the first place? Suffice to say it's fine.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                I watched/listened to Petrovsk Mizinski.
                wish he'd post some riffs for us lil old forum bros! to think he's out there whoring around town like that.

Comment

hows the build quality on those 5150III? Any pics of the circuitboard?
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I haven't taken it out of the shell yet. I've seen some floating around on the net though. Standard PC board computer looking setup...lol. I had to change one of the preamp tubes that must have gotten rattled a bit too much during its scary FedEX journey. Which gave the Blue channel a bit more gain, and quieted the amp's noise floor a bit. So that was a cool trade off. So far I'm really digging the amp. The true test will come tomorrow night a band practice. I'm looking forward to cranking it up and letting it breathe.

Comment

Working...
                    X